Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer randomly shuts down

• Please log in to reply

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
Sparky, one more thing....whats the type of CPU? AMD or Intel? and what speed (in ghz?) 2ghz, 2.4 ghz? 54c is getting up there. My old AMD XP CPU (2.5ghz socket a) ran at just below 50, and i thought that was hot. When you experience shutdowns, you might try to monitor the temp of the CPU just b4 you think its going to shutdown? Youll need a program that runs in windows to see the temp in windows. some in this forum have suggested a program that will do this. do a search for it. also, whats the power rating on your power supply?

Advertisements

sparkythefool

sparkythefool

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
It's an Intel Celeron CPU running at 2.6 GHz. I would try to monitor the temperature before it shuts down, but I have no idea when it will. It just happens completely randomly. I downloaded the Everest program to check the temperature, and it's still running at 54 C right now. Question to your question..how do I find the power rating on my power supply?

sparkythefool

sparkythefool

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Well, this just makes me mad. I left my house around 8:45 tonight and came back at 10:00 or so..and the computer was off. I left it running with just AIM on, as usual. Today I was using it for around two hours and it didn't shut off. So, with that in mind, why did it shut off after a little only an hour when left alone?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you right click the desktop then properties then screensaver then power, what does it say in power schemes and also hibernate.

sparkythefool

sparkythefool

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
I have everything set to "Never" because I suspected that may be the problem at first, but apparently not.