Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

At the end of my rope with Windows 7 64 bit!

• Please log in to reply

Daclivont

Daclivont

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
Okay, I've built this computer 8 months ago, loaded it up with windows 7 64bit pro and things ran great... for 2 months at most...

After 2 months it started freezing occasionally, but, was bearable...

Jump ahead till now... :) the freezes got worse and worse and more frequent. I've tried everything I can think of and can't track the problem down. It's gotten to the point I can't get any work done that requires programs that run on windows. The only reason I can get any work done and am able to post this is because I'm dual booting ubuntu.

The freezes are completely random. Or, at least they feel random. It doesn't matter whether I'm surfing the web with firefox or google chrome (refuse to test IE out.), modeling in blender or working in gimp. The freezes just hit and don't relent.

I've tried reinstalling windows multiple times to no avail. Ran Mbam and spybot multiple times, tried registry cleaners. even tried tracking down the software at fault by hand with no luck. :)

Even tried my luck with the SP1 beta. Which seemed to work... For an hour! :)

I'm at the point I just want to throw my computer off a cliff. :) :) :)

It's just freezing... No BSOD, no error messages, no little green aliens stealing my processor. :)

Please! Help me! :) :) :)

Edited by Daclivont, 17 July 2010 - 09:24 PM.

Advertisements

Bing7

Bing7

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • MVP
hi, a couple of things i would try ,different mouse and keyboard ,and check ram ,if you have addin video device ,check to make sure its fan is connected correctly and not full of dust , also i would use memtest86 and run the can over night .
you can download the iso file of memtest and burn it to disk and boot computer to the disk to run the ram scan .
memtest86.download
http://www.memtest86.com/download.html

Edited by Bing7, 18 July 2010 - 05:05 PM.

Daclivont

Daclivont

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
I've ran memtest86 before and didn't get any errors in the past doing it on each 2 gig stick individually and with all 3 in. I pulled them out and made sure they're seated properly. Cleaned the system 2 days ago. Clean it at least once a month. I'll run the test again when I got to bed tonight.

I'm pretty sure it's not hardware since it doesn't carry over into Ubuntu.

The processor sits at a steady 50C. And the only time the load on it get's heavy is when I'm working in blender.

It'll freeze randomly in windows 7 but, no matter what Ubuntu I can't get it to freeze

Bing7

Bing7

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • MVP
so you use blender in ubuntu as well correct ,did you do any video card trouble shooting to rule it out ,i know you don't thing it hardware ,

Daclivont

Daclivont

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Yes I use blender in ubuntu and windows 7 and have no trouble with it in ubuntu. And yes I've tried everything I could find to see if it was the video card.

And ran memtest86 all night last night and got no errors.

Edited by Daclivont, 19 July 2010 - 11:09 AM.

Bing7

Bing7

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • MVP
not really sure if this is a possiable issue but look into if you motherboard has issues that may be fixed with a bios update .also make sure that bios settings for your ram and cpu are correctly set according to your manual

tholley

tholley

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
We are also assuming the motherboard is 64bit compatible, or else it wouldn't have lasted 2 months.

One thing with 64bit, if you are installing software that you are used to using from a older computer, allot of the software may seem to install fine, but may be 32bit and not work correctly with a 64bit systems.
Hence... as you installed more software during the months after you had built the system, check to make sure it all 64bit compatible.

just a thought... :)

Daclivont

Daclivont

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Components are:

EVGA 141-BL-E757-TR X58 SLI Mainboard

OCZ OCZ3G1600LV6GK DDR3 PC3-12800 1600 MHz Gold XTC 6GB Triple Channel Kit

Intel Core i7 Processor i7-920 2.66GHz 8 MB LGA1366 CPU BX80601920

Corsair CMPSU-750TX 750-Watt TX Series 80 Plus Certified Power Supply

Diamond Radeon HD 5750 1GB PCIe w/Dual DVI/HDMI

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~

The freezing occurs whether I'm running programs built for 64 bit systems or 32. And no new software was Installed from the time it was running great to the time it started freezing.

Running a fresh install of windows 7 fully updated with just firefox installed still leads to the freezing.

Checking to see if a bios update will help at all.

Daclivont

Daclivont

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Noticed my ram settings we off so I updated the bios then fixed those. Must have hit the Clear CMOS button some time and forgot to change them back.

Freezing is still happening :)

Edited by Daclivont, 19 July 2010 - 04:53 PM.

Bing7

Bing7

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • MVP

Noticed my ram settings we off so I updated the bios then fixed those. Must have hit the Clear CMOS button some time and forgot to change them back.

Freezing is still happening :)

nice specs' i could only dream of such a machine !
go to control panel /admin tools and check event viewer for any error messages.
just noticed in you first post where you say you refuse to try out IE,what could it hurt to try IE8,at least have have you tried firefox with out addons ,just go to firefox tools and addons and disable them and try it if it stops freezing then enable them one at a time till one of them causes the freeze ,worh a try maybe ,but because it happens wioth crome too ,likely will not be the problem ,but i would try IE really !i use firefox and IE8 with out any issues

Edited by Bing7, 19 July 2010 - 06:31 PM.

Advertisements

Daclivont

Daclivont

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Checked out the even view logs and found a ton of errors

uploaded the file for you to take a look. (Would have attached it but the attachment editor seems to not be working.)

http://www.mediafire...yaj7sss7zqoikws

Also, got this error when I opened it.

http://www.flickr.co...N00/4810838942/

Bing7

Bing7

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
  • MVP

Checked out the even view logs and found a ton of errors

uploaded the file for you to take a look. (Would have attached it but the attachment editor seems to not be working.)

http://www.mediafire...yaj7sss7zqoikws

Also, got this error when I opened it.

http://www.flickr.co...N00/4810838942/

seems power management program is big issue ,i did a google search and found this discusion on a forum ,one poster solved his by making a bios setting change ,
they enabled SpeedStep in the BIOS ,another it was his C4E option ,so i would start there

http://social.techne...28-c6be539ff0bd

Daclivont

Daclivont

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Enabled SpeedStep and C4E wasn't an option.

So far a few freezes but none of the major ones.

Update: Received one really bad freeze that lasted about 5 mins while opening control panel.

Update 2: I found a forum post about getting ram to run at the labeled 1600MHz and followed what they said and it seems to have stableized the system now.

Update 3: It's still getting freezes but now it seems to be when I try to open control panel.

Edited by Daclivont, 20 July 2010 - 11:22 AM.

Daclivont

Daclivont

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
The Event viewer keeps getting this warning:

wuaueng.dll (968) SUS20ClientDataStore: A request to write to the file "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore\DataStore.edb" at offset 0 (0x0000000000000000) for 32768 (0x00008000) bytes succeeded, but took an abnormally long time (62 seconds) to be serviced by the OS. This problem is likely due to faulty hardware. Please contact your hardware vendor for further assistance diagnosing the problem.

Followed this and seems to have fixed the problem there:

The wuaueng.dll is a module belonging to Microsoft Windows Update. Perhaps reregistering the .dll will solve the problem.
To register the Wuaueng.dll file, follow these steps:
1. Click Start, click Run, type regsvr32 Wuaueng.dll, and then click OK.
2. When you receive the following message, click OK:
DllRegisterServer in Wuaueng.dll succeeded.

Now the only error left is:

"The attempt to install printer Fax into an offline operating system image failed with Win32 error code 87 (0x57). This can occur if the printer driver requires user input or displays a user interface (UI) during installation."

But I don't have a printer attached to the computer...

Edited by Daclivont, 20 July 2010 - 11:22 AM.

Daclivont

Daclivont

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Freezing is still occurring occasionally but is no where near as bad.