Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

floopy disks fail 40

• Please log in to reply

kklin

kklin

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello!

My pc give me 3 start up errors and I don't know how to fix it. Maybe somebody can help me.

The errors are:

FLOPPY DISKS FAIL 40
KEYBOARD ERRORS OR NO KEYBOARD PRESENT
CMOS CHEKSUM ERROR - DEFAULTS LOADED

I take out the BIOS battery, I unplug and plug again the data and power cable for hardware and dvd-rom and nothing hapens. I have same errors.

Thank you!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Your error messages point toward a low or dead cmos battery.
My first suggestions would be to replace it and then go into bios and click on set as default
Then If the floppy disk error still happens we can continue to resolve that issue with two easy corrections to the bios.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The error means the battery is dead.
You can get a new CMOS battery (CR2032) from pretty much anywhere for almost next to nothing.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I agree with the other helpers that CMOS battery must be replaced. However, please note that all the errors that you see now may show again after the first boot with the new battery. The reasons:

FLOPPY DISKS FAIL 40: This happens when the BIOS is set to run with a floppy disk but the computer does not have one. To fix this problem set the BIOS correctly (floppy not installed).

KEYBOARD ERRORS OR NO KEYBOARD PRESENT: this happens if your keyboard is USB and the option for USB keyboard is disabled in the BIOS. Get a PS2 keyboard or a USB to PS2 adapter, connect the keyboard to the PS2 connection, boot to BIOS and enable all USB options.

CMOS CHEKSUM ERROR - DEFAULTS LOADED. This message will not show up after you set time and date.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The floppy disk error we can resolve by turning off floppy drive seek and disabling floppy drive in the boot sequence.
KB error I would agree that we need to check the bios to make sure if usb capability's disabled. Enabling if available should resolve that issue.

kklin

kklin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you guys for your suggestions but still it's not working. I replace the battery with a new one and when I start the computer I have same errors. Can you give me more advices. I really need this pc. Thank you very much again.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Did you install the battery the correct way? Meaning with + and - orientated correctly?
The battery is used to hold the bios info for startup.
You are now most likely looking at a main board.

I would reverify the battery is 3.0vdc. Possibly try another battery in case the 1st one was bad.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Also make sure the floppy drive is not in the Boot Sequence in the BIOS.

kklin

kklin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The battery is positioned well and i tried another 3 batteries and is still the same. I forget to tell you, I don't have a floppy disk in my computer. Can bee a problem with the motherboard? Thanks!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What about the suggestions I gave?