Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

disc boot failure arrrgghh

• Please log in to reply

Greany1210

Greany1210

• Pip
  • 2 posts
A few days ago my pc suddenly displayed a ''disc boot failure, please insert system disc'' message on the black screen, tried a few things but no joy inclduing trying to instal vista again but it did not recognise any hd ..so i decided the hd must have died and ordered a new one with a new cable just in case it was that (the smaller cable only) anyway i fitted the new hard drive which is way above my pc knowledge, booted the pc up and same message appeared (disc boot failure) so i put the windows disc in and it proceeded to instal vista just fine (i did nothing other put the vista disc in , no format etc nothing) installs fine and works like a dream for about 24 hours but then i go out for a bit and the pc must have crashed or restarted and the dreaded boot disc message was back and from there on in wont do any anything when i try and install windows just says it cant find the hd

any ideas people???

some specs pc is a mesh 4 year old roughly old hd was a maxtor sata150 300gb sata new one is a wd sata11 500gb

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Since it's happened again with a new HD I would suspect the motherboard has a fault, in particular the SATA controller or port, probably an intermittent fault but that's just as bad as a permanent fault in practice.

Does it have a spare SATA port you can plug the drive into perhaps, too see what happens, if only for testing purposes?

Greany1210

Greany1210

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Since it's happened again with a new HD I would suspect the motherboard has a fault, in particular the SATA controller or port, probably an intermittent fault but that's just as bad as a permanent fault in practice.

Does it have a spare SATA port you can plug the drive into perhaps, too see what happens, if only for testing purposes?

thanks for the reply

there is 4 sata ports on the motherboard and have tried 3 of them with no joy..there is also 4 others which say sata raid