Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

looking for a new CMOS battery

• Please log in to reply

brady1988

brady1988

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
hey there guys, here again asking to the experts u see im already needing a new CMOS battery for my motherboard cus when i updated my BIOS this morning right after that when my system was starting up an error popped up:
checksum error... loaded something like that
so im gonna tell u whats my system built of so that way u can tell me what type of battery i should buy.

Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601920
EVGA 015-P3-1482-AR GeForce GTX 480 (Fermi) SuperClocked 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
EVGA E758-A1 3-Way SLI (x16/x16/x8) LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
Antec Twelve Hundred 750 Blue Black Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case 750W Power Supply
LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model GH22NP20 - OEM
Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler
2 x APEVIA CF12SL-UBL 120mm Blue LED Case Fan

based on that, i am looking for a CMOS battery for that type of motherboard and also where can i buy one?
HEY! thank u guys i really appreciate it. :)

Edited by brady1988, 19 July 2010 - 08:24 AM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
[attachment=43555:Battery.jpeg]

This is the battery you are looking for.
Just about any computer shop, Radio Shack or Watch repair shop would have the correct battery for you.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Just make sure you unplug from the wall and you touch bare metal of the case before you reach in. Take the battery with you as most places will recycle and they will have a cross-reference chart. It is typically a CR2032.

Make sure the the interior is clean of heat trapping dust before you close up. After you install the battery and reconnect to power, boot immediately into your BIOS Setup Menu to set your date and time, and reset any custom settings, like boot order, you have as your CMOS will be reset once the battery is removed. Then be sure to "Save" and Exit.

brady1988

brady1988

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
ok ill do as u say guys, now uhmm i was kinda wondering about my thermal paste u know wat im taking about right? IT'S FOR THE PROCESSOR ... SO ANYWAY I WANTED TO KNOW when am i gonna need some more..CUS I HEARD THAT U CAN HAVE THIS THERMAL PASTE FOR ALMOST A YEAR WITHOUT NEEDING MORE ... i would like some info about that please. IN THE MEANTIME IM GONNA GO TO RADIOSHACK AND BUY A BATTERY

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Unless you are having a over heating problem with your cpu then I myself would not worry about it.

brady1988

brady1988

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
YEAH BUT I DONT WANNA TAKE A RISK U KNOW SO IN OTHER WORDS WHATS THE MOST RECOMMENDABLE TIME TO REPLACE MY THERMAL PASTE FOR A NEW ONE, LIKE EVERY 6 MONTHS MAYBE OR EVERY 8 MONTHS OR EVERY YEAR... WHAT WOULD U SUGGEST ?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Unless it dries out and you can actually see it flaking then it is never recommended to just change it.
Depending on the amount of time you have your system actually running everyday will also be a deciding factor.
In my case my systems run 24\7 and in 15 years I have replaced thermal paste only once.

brady1988

brady1988

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
U KNOW I JUST CALLED RADIOSHACK ASKING FOR THIS KINDA MODEL AT FIRST THE GUY SAID OH NO WE DONT HAVE BATTERIES FOR COMPUTERS THEN I SAID YEAH BUT I HAVENT EVEN TOLD U THE MODEL IM LOOKING FOR SO I SAID THE MODEL AND HES LIKE ' oh yeah we have that one 'LOL'

brady1988

brady1988

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
u have it runing 24-7 and just about 15 years u still using the same thermal paste u used for the very first time? no way! no how! ND WHY IF IT STARTS FLAKING WHAT SHOULD I DO>>?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Most computers use the same flat battery. Cr2322 i believe it is.
If the thermal paste dries out then the best way to resolve it is to start the system for a few minutes and let the paste warm up. Then turn the system off and disconnect the power from it.
Gently but firmly you will need to remove the Heatsink and fan assembly from the CPU. Clean both the heatsink and CPU of the old thermal paste.
To reapply paste you would put about a drop about the size of a pea on the heatsink and spread it out to cover the area completely that contacts the CPU. Check the fan and heatsink for dust and if needed use a can of compressed air to clean them out.
Reattach the heatsink and fan assembly to the CPU making sure to plug the power in for the fan.
Reconnect the power to the system and start the system. Check to make sure the fan is turning correctly.

Advertisements

brady1988

brady1988

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Now one more question my friend, u see ive just noticed something on my motherboard right on the left hand side from the cmos battery of course i see that there r 2 little devices one of them turns on when the machine turns on and the other when u r using ur system or something like that the thing is that this little device the one that turn on with my computer its alway showing a red light its been always like that since i purchased it from newegg.com so yesterday night i was doing a little research myself about this particular device and i found out that it could be the battery wats causing this red light behavior on the other hand it could be that my motherboard is malfunctioning already and i would need to replace it for a new one from EVGA, so i dont know wat else to do my friend i just wanna find out wats causing that red light

Edited by brady1988, 19 July 2010 - 12:24 PM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
You NEVER have to replace the thermal interface material (TIM) unless you remove the heat sink fan or break the bond between the CPU and HSF. It does not wear out. But if you remove the fan assembly, or twist it and break the bond, then you MUST completely clean all the old TIM and properly apply a fresh new layer. See my canned text on TIM here.

And BTW - typing in ALL CAPS is frowned upon. It is harder to read and is considered SHOUTING - and no one like to be shouted at. Use all caps for emphasis only.

And the battery is probably a CR2032.

Edited by Digerati, 19 July 2010 - 12:34 PM.

brady1988

brady1988

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
thanx for ur answer but u havent answer my last question my friend would u be so kinda to answer it :)

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
with the description of the "two devices" somewhere in your computer, no one is going to be able to answer your question.

if you're talking about a red light on the motherboard that comes on when you plug the computer in or turn the PSU on (if your PSU has a switch), then that's normal, it's the light that shows that your motherboard is getting power from the PSU, if you DON'T see that light, then you've got a problem

brady1988

brady1988

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
but isnt that light supposed to be green? when the temperatures goes like down to 20