Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Not getting the internet speed I\m paying for

• Please log in to reply

ShelleyH653

ShelleyH653

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, I'm new here and hoping someone can help me. Sorry I don't know a whole lot about computers so I'll try to give as much info as I can. I bought an HP Notebook (4 mg ram if that's relevant) 2 days ago and signed up with a Fibre Optic internet access of 12 megabits/second with Bell Canada. I used the Speakeasy.net internet speed test and am only getting a max of 5 megabits/second. I contacted my service provider and they tell me my line is rated for up to 25 mb/second but they are useless to tell me why my speed is so slow. I was wondering if there are any changes I can make to my computer to get the speed I'm paying for?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer =)

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Key phrase in the provider response: "Up To". Doesn't mean you're guaranteed 25mb/s, all it means is you'll get something but not necessarily 25mb/s.

Schisme

Schisme

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Hi, I'm new here and hoping someone can help me. Sorry I don't know a whole lot about computers so I'll try to give as much info as I can. I bought an HP Notebook (4 mg ram if that's relevant) 2 days ago and signed up with a Fibre Optic internet access of 12 megabits/second with Bell Canada. I used the Speakeasy.net internet speed test and am only getting a max of 5 megabits/second. I contacted my service provider and they tell me my line is rated for up to 25 mb/second but they are useless to tell me why my speed is so slow. I was wondering if there are any changes I can make to my computer to get the speed I'm paying for?

Thanks for any help anyone can offer =)

The problem is, you are getting the speed you're paying for. The Internet Service Providers (ISP) use bits in their advertising campaigns to show these grandiose numbers that simply are misleading. There are 8 bits in a byte, so you take that 25 megabits/second and divide it by 8, and that's what you should expect to see.

Another problem that you have to keep in mind is that you're sharing that 25 MB/sec with everyone and anyone that is online using that cable so you'll never get the speed you're paying for unless you have a dedicated line which is very expensive.

Edited by Schisme, 22 July 2010 - 12:28 PM.

ShelleyH653

ShelleyH653

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for clearing that up for me Schisme. It was the sort of response I expected from my isp, instead of their "duh..we don't know why?"

Thanks again =)

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Hi Shelly,

While it's true that it's up to 12Mb (12000 bit per second) you should get at least 50% of the rated speed (6000 bps). less than that there is an issue with the connection. Now Speakeasy is a good speed test server(s). Are you testing to Canadian servers or US? To make your case you will need to test at Bell Canada servers. The ISP I work for has there own FTP servers for speed test and to get a speed issue escalated we have to test to those servers for the region.

I personally think that on a 12Mb connection you should see consistent 9-12 Mb when you test. And Speakeasy measures actual Mb to their servers. HTH

ShelleyH653

ShelleyH653

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi silverbeard and ty for the info.

On Speakeasy I tested from the closest site which was Illinois. I didn't see any Canadian servers available. I am just outside of Toronto. I tested from the Bell site you gave me several times and my connection is consistently between 4 and 5 Mb. I will do additional tests at different times to see if there is any difference. I am aware that I should get speeds of *up to* 12 Mb but lower during peak periods, but when I'm getting 4 Mb at 3 am, I tend to think there IS a connection problem. Interestingly enough, I had a technician here last week to fix a problem with my phone line and he was unaware that my area even had Fibre Optic capability as of yet. I will use this info when I speak to a Bell rep tomorrow, you have been a big help so TY again.

Shelley

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
There are two kinds of fiber optics used by most telcos to deliver service to their customers, Fiber to the Premises (fttp) and Fiber to the Curb (fttc). Fiber to the curb requires a modem just like standard dsl connections. Fiber to the premises has an ethernet jack installed in the wall.

If it's a true fiber connection then the speed issue is probably programming in the devices that control your connection and they will need to send a tech with a laptop to diagnose the connection.

A copper connection on the other hand has a lot more variable (and yes they can deliver 25 Mb over copper these day). If the tech department is not seeing any issues on the line then they need to get their broadband control group involved to find out why they are unable to deliver the speed they are selling you.