Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Won't Boot Up Past Certain Stage

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts

Should I try to find my usb keyboard (assuming that's what it is), and see if that works?

Yes, apart from this you could try removing the PS/2 adapter & try
the present keyboard in a USB port.

Edited by phillpower2, 31 July 2010 - 03:09 PM.

Advertisements

raechan89

raechan89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
The keyboard I have right now isn't using an adaptor; it's made that way. Assuming I can't get that side panel off (like I mentioned, there's something keeping it from sliding even when the screw is taken off, which the manual doesn't mention), is there a site out there that would possibly give the manufacturer? I know it's not a sure bet, but it's better than nothing. Otherwise, I can post a picture of the side panel if I need too, considering knowing what manufacturer this is may be critical to figuring this out.

Thank you! :)

... :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
If the panel has never been removed before it may be quite tight.
Remove the screw (if you havn`t already) and take a flat bladed
screwdriver and prise the panel backwards just enough for you to
get your fingertips beneath it, slide it towards you about an
inch and it should then lift off.
Make sure you remove the power cord before you do this, whilst
the side is off the case take the opportunity to clean out any
heat trapping dust in there, but make sure you ground yourself
before touching anything inside the case (touch a bare metal part
of the case)

raechan89

raechan89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Since it was booting up fine before I ran chkdsk /r, and it only stopped working properly after I ran chkdsk and unplugged it when it froze, is it possible that it's a physical problem that could possibly be solved by freezing or some other physical means? I know that's grabbing at straws, but I'm very, very, very desperate.

Also, would it be easier to potentially come up with a solution (if there is one... :) ) if I posted a new topic with all the information we've discovered thus far in the opening post, so that it's a bit easier to get a clear picture of what's going on?

Thank you for your time.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Have you managed to get the side off the computer yet?
It is important that you do so we can identify both your
HDD and your MB, it will also enable you to check that
everything inside your computer is as it should be such
as no loose or damaged connections, that the memory sticks
are secure etc, you will also be able to clean out any heat
heat trapping dust and check that all internal fans are in
working order.
Also while the side is off the computer you can clear the
CMOS which should restore the MB back to the factory settings
including your PS2 keyboard port.
It would neither be appropriate or necessary to start a new
thread to resolve the same issue, you could ask Admin if the
thread could be posted on the hardware forum with a link to
this thread.

Edited by phillpower2, 04 August 2010 - 03:02 PM.

raechan89

raechan89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
A quick question about resetting the CMOS before I attempt to get this side panel off; will it erase my data? I want to save that data if I can, since it has important things like photos and important documents.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
No it will not erase your data it has nothing to do with your hardware only the MB.
The idea here is to get your keyboard back working so you can navigate the computer.
The easiest way to reset the BIOS is to remove the silver MB battery for a while &
then replace it.
If you require further assistance with this I will be happy to help.

raechan89

raechan89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
The situation has now been taken out of my hands; it's being taken to a repair man. :) I'll post anything I learn for anyone who has been reading this, but that's all I can do now. Thank you for all your kind assistance, and I'm sorry for any impatience. Even if I didn't get the chance to finish fixing my problem though here, what I've learned though here could be very useful in the future. :)

My apologies for the major inconvenience, and again, thank you for helping. :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Sorry to hear you have been unable to resolve the issue yourself :)
Please let us know the outcome and thank you for keeping us posted.

My apologies for the major inconvenience, and again, thank you for helping.

No apologies are necessary that is why GTG exists, to help others.

raechan89

raechan89

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Alright, I'm finally back! :) I've been taking care of college related things, and class started, so this is the first chance I've really gotten the chance to post in a while.

Unfortunantly, my hard drive is indeed dead. :) The repair guy tried it with four different computers, and no sucess. It seems that really was the click of death. Thankfully, I had backed up most of my pictures because of a previous incident, as well as a good deal of my documents due to the same incident. My computer also came with a back up disk to restore the hp stuff. Unfortunantly, I still lost 4-5 months worth of pictures and documents, as well as the rest of my data that I hadn't backed up, :) but it could have been worse. The rest of the computer was fine. I have a new harddrive in it now, and it's working nicely again. :)

I think chkdsk freezing was what ultimantly did it. My computer was only freezing before I ran chkdsk. Otherwise, I could have probably saved all my data. I don't think this means that chkdsk is unsafe to use, but that you should really be careful about using it until you have a solid idea of what's going on.

I guess so that this is at least somewhat helpful to people, I'll post the three most important lessons I learned from this, in order from least important to most important.

1. Be careful what you download! I probably could have avoided this whole incident if I hadn't gone download crazy those past few weeks before I lost my hard drive for good. Try to download only from sites you trust, and even then, be careful. Viruses can show up in the most unlikely places, and can really screw up your computer if you're not careful, so be cautious!

2. Before you attempt to fix your computer yourself, get to know what's going on before you do anything. For example, find out what you can and then post what's going on on this site. Try your computer in safe mode, or have your antivirus run to check things out. Just don't jump into it thinking you instantly knew the solution like I did. If you're really unsure though, the best thing to do is to take it in to a professional and have it fixed there.

3. This one is absolutely critical: Back up your data often and regularly! You never know when something's going to happen, and if something goes wrong with the hard drive, there's a chance you could lose everything. So back up your stuff regularly, even if it's just copying pictures, documents, etc. to a cd or flash drive. Back up your data!

TL:DR... Lost my hard drive, could have been worse, don't rush into fixing things, and BACK UP YOUR DATA regularly!

Anyways, even if it ultimantly failed, thank you to everyone who tried to help for your time and effort. :)

Advertisements