Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Setting up right the first time

• Please log in to reply

kikiz

kikiz

• Pip
  • 5 posts
My daughter Just bought A ASUS laptop computer. I do not want her having the problems I have had on my HP before I found your posts. Want to set it up right. The store recommended about $300.00 in add ons. Want to know what is the best programs I can put on it to keep it running at top performance. I am also fuzzy on Firewalls. How do I know if I have one or more. Read your posts but sometimes get confused (Chemo Brain). I already put on the little green check marks but what else can I do.
Thank you
kiki

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi kikiz Welcome to GTG
What were the store proposing to "add on" for $300?
Would I be correct in thinking that you are looking for a quality Anti Virus Programme!
Different people prefer different programmes I have AVG on my laptop running Vista but I
have Avast on my desktop which is running XP, other reputable names are Avira Anti Virus
or Comodo Firewall etc, there are even free versions of some of these http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
To keep my computers operating efficiently I use Autoruns, TFC, & Disk Cleanup + I have
the HDD set to defrag every Sunday at 12 noon.
If you want to know what programmes you have installed go to control panel - add/remove
programmes and it will list what the laptop has installed.
Tip! Never remove something if you do not know what it is.

kikiz

kikiz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hi kikiz Welcome to GTG
What were the store proposing to "add on" for $300?
Would I be correct in thinking that you are looking for a quality Anti Virus Programme!
Different people prefer different programmes I have AVG on my laptop running Vista but I
have Avast on my desktop which is running XP, other reputable names are Avira Anti Virus
or Comodo Firewall etc, there are even free versions of some of these http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php
To keep my computers operating efficiently I use Autoruns, TFC, & Disk Cleanup + I have
the HDD set to defrag every Sunday at 12 noon.
If you want to know what programmes you have installed go to control panel - add/remove
programmes and it will list what the laptop has installed.
Tip! Never remove something if you do not know what it is.

kikiz

kikiz

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you for your help. They wanted to add Geek squad Protection ect. I really appreciate your quick response;
Kikiz