Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive Blues

• Please log in to reply

saltydingo

saltydingo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
OK computer geniuses, I need help. Here’s the scoop. My computer fried out. It was a Dell Laptop, about 4 years old, an M700. My hard drive is still good and I REALLY need it. I bought an enclosure and could download files, but a lot of my software will not work on Windows 7 because its 64 bit. Software I spent a lot of money on and now I’m pretty broke. One particular piece is very important to my job and I paid $600 for it….only the designers required phone activation and now they are out of business. So I need this hard drive to work with the OS that it has on it as a boot drive. Can I figure a way to use the enclosure to boot from the USB port? I got an older desktop which ran XP. It is an HP desktop. I removed its 3.5” drive, purchased a 3.5” to 2.5” master ribbon adapter and it starts to boot, recognizes the model of the drive, but then cancels out saying there is an error. Is there a way around that? Will it only work in a Dell PC? Does it need to be a matching model or bios? What are my options here?

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hi saltydingo :)

You are asking for a miracle to happen with that drive. When hard drives are installed and a OS is added the drivers for all the components for the original computer/ main board are installed to the drive.
Asking it to boot from another computer with drivers from a previous OS is a difficult task. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.
The only thing you can try is a repair install.

How to repair windows XP