Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My Pc Hanging

• Please log in to reply

furqan_prince

furqan_prince

• Pip
  • 6 posts
hi to all ..

i have a very painfull problem forme ... my pc is hanging after every second for a second .. i can use my pc .. can brows internet ... but its annnoying me .. specially in games .. music videos .. its getting harder ... i go through some topics here ... check services .. startup things ... malware removal ... atf cleaner etc .. but still i am having that pain in my pc .... can any one help me please
and yes by the way i am using win xp home edition on p4 dell 0c2057 - 82865g intel_i865p/pe/g/i848p

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:)
Lets take a look and see what we can find.
Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.

Download and install Free Everest Home Edition
Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.
Click the + by computer, click on Sensor. Get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and voltages...

DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"

furqan_prince

furqan_prince

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

:)
Lets take a look and see what we can find.
Download Autoruns from the link in my signature below:

1: Extract the Autoruns Zip file contents to a folder.
2: Double-click the "Autoruns.exe".
3: Click on the "Everything" tab
4: Remove any entries that mention "File Not Found" by right-clicking the entry and select Delete.
5: Go to File then to Export As or Save in some versions.
6: Save AutoRuns.txt file to known location like your Desktop.
7: Attach to your next reply.

Download and install Free Everest Home Edition
Open it.
1: In left pane expand Computer folder.
2: Click once on Summary
3: In upper menu, go Report
4: And then to Quick Report-Summary
5: Save it in text file, and paste it in your next post.
Click the + by computer, click on Sensor. Get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and voltages...

DO NOT INCLUDE ANYTHING UNDER THE LINE THAT SAYS "DEBUG- PCI"

hi thanks rshaffer ..for the quick reply ..here is what you want to see .. ..

autorun.txt ( too big to attach so i uploaded in different location )
link >
http://encodable.com...le=AutoRuns.txt

right click save target as :

summary report :
attached as report ..

screen shot : attached as sansor

Attached Thumbnails

• sensor.JPG

Attached Files

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
First problem i see right away..

System Memory 512 MB (PC3200 DDR SDRAM)

Even though this mayhave worked in the past the addition of more programs and software will eat up any free memory. We suggest going to at least 1 gig of memory.
Go to HERE and run the Crucial online scanner.
This will give you the exact memory configuration for your system.
You do not have to buy the memory from there, but write down the information and if you need assistance in purchasing the upgrade memory GTG can assist with suggestions also.

Second problem I see is this....

C: (NTFS) 20002 MB (3760 MB free)

You are very close to the 15% free space left on your C drive limit. When the system gets this low you take the chance of the MFT or Master File Table becoming corrupt. This can cause slow downs and in the worse case scenario the system will not boot.
The best solution for this is to uninstall any unused or no longer needed programs using the Add\Remove program in the Control Panel.

What I would suggest is Uninstalling All Programs you don't need or don't want anymore through Add/Remove Programs

Do this by going to

Start and then to Control Panel
Click Add/Remove Programs
Carefully choose the program(s) you don't need
Click on each Program then click Change/Remove and Follow the Uninstall Instructions

You may be prompted to Restart your computer.
Restart once you have all the programs you don't need uninstalled.
Be careful not to remove anything needed by your computer, some of which you may be unfamiliar with the name,

The next issue you need to be aware of is to Backup your Data Files.
For this I would suggest using a External Hard Drive Enclosure. This will allow you to keep your Important Data safe and Separated from the main system in case of problems.
The cost for this kind of Backup System has come down a lot. I would suggest a 500 Gig capacity for your needs.
Since you will only be Backing Up Data Files Only this should be sufficient to do that for you. Follow the next two links to see examples of the price you will be looking at.
[list]
HERE
HERE
[/list
I suggest going to Microsofts Backup Tutorial[/b] and follow the steps to do a Backup to a External Drive and also it will guide you on how to do a Scheduled Backup even at night.

Another way you can do a Backup is by using DVD’s. This method is just as effective and can be done using the same steps as above.
Please let me know if I can answer any further questions you may have as I am always happy to assist.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I can't read the Autoruns with all the crazy symbols it has in it.
So lets try a different way to see what pops up.
Lets see what you have in your startup

Please click on
Start and then to Run
Type in msconfig and press Enter
Now click on Startups
Then uncheck everything and restart.
IMPORTANT! In case of laptop, make sure, you do NOT disable any keyboard, or touchpad entries.
If system boots correctly and is running smoothly and faster then we have a startup problem
Try going back into msconfig and check one item and reboot
Keep doing that till you have found the problem or all are finally checked.
Post back with the results

furqan_prince

furqan_prince

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I can't read the Autoruns with all the crazy symbols it has in it.
So lets try a different way to see what pops up.
Lets see what you have in your startup

Please click on
Start and then to Run
Type in msconfig and press Enter
Now click on Startups
Then uncheck everything and restart.
IMPORTANT! In case of laptop, make sure, you do NOT disable any keyboard, or touchpad entries.
If system boots correctly and is running smoothly and faster then we have a startup problem
Try going back into msconfig and check one item and reboot
Keep doing that till you have found the problem or all are finally checked.
Post back with the results

well first : on memory check .. ok i will add more memory soon but i am using this setup since 1 year and this is the first time am facing these problems ...

second :space ... ok i freed up near 3 gb space now ... but problem is still there ...

about start up and ms config : i tried this before posting all this ... nothing happened good .... i check each and every thing in ms config and services also but there is no such problem there

now what :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

well first : on memory check .. ok i will add more memory soon but i am using this setup since 1 year and this is the first time am facing these problems ...

As I stated before over time with adding new programs and the more data you save to your hd the slower the system will run.
Also it is normal to get some slowing down over time.
I still believe the main problem is the lack of memory.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would also suggest doing a SFC or System File Checker to make sure system files are intact and working.
Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

furqan_prince

furqan_prince

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

As I stated before over time with adding new programs and the more data you save to your hd the slower the system will run.
Also it is normal to get some slowing down over time.
I still believe the main problem is the lack of memory.

ok i havnt money at this time ..i will add soon

furqan_prince

furqan_prince

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

I would also suggest doing a SFC or System File Checker to make sure system files are intact and working.
Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link.

If you don't have Windows CD....
This applies mostly to Windows XP, since Vista rarely requires use of its DVD while running "sfc"
Note This method will not necessarily work as well, as when using Windows CD, because not always ALL system files are backed up on your hard drive. Also, backed up files may be corrupted as well.

Go Start and then Run
type in regedit and click OK

Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup

You will see various entries Values on the right hand side.

The one we want is called: SourcePath

It probably has an entry pointing to your CD-ROM drive, usually D and that is why it is asking for the XP CD.
All we need to do is change it to: C:
Now, double click the SourcePatch setting and a new box will pop up.
Change the drive letter from your CD drive to your root drive, usually C:
Close Registry Editor.

Now restart your computer and try sfc /scannow again!

Thanks to Broni for the instructions

ok i did that and strange thing happened ...i havnt that win xp cd so i go for that second option and changed source path :E: to :C: and source path for servicepack :C: to :E: and restart my machine then i started scan but its still demands for a xp cd !

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Then it is missing files that are not in the folder it is looking at on the HD.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

about start up and ms config : i tried this before posting all this ... nothing happened good .... i check each and every thing in ms config and services also but there is no such problem there

When you said you tried this did you go into Startups and uncheck everything then restarted.
Did the system run better and faster?
Did you then check one entry and then reboot redoing the steps till you found the problem or everything was rechecked?
With Services did you hide the Microsoft stuff and then uncheck everything and redo the steps like in the Startups instructions. Clicking one entry back on and then rebooting?
Please do the below and let me know what the results are.
ok I need you to do the following and let me know what it says

For HD only

Let's make sure all drives are using DMA mode

Click the Start and then Right click My Computer
Select Manage and In the Computer Management window, select Device Manager
In the right pane, click to expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
The click on the + sign next to your Hard drive controllers on both the Primary Controller and Secondary Controller
Right click on the drive and select Properties
Click the Advanced Settings tab
In the Transfer Mode box open the drop down menu and select DMA if available
Redo the steps to check each of the Controllers
Click OK and exit all windows
Reboot to make sure all settings take affect. Reply back with your results

furqan_prince

furqan_prince

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

When you said you tried this did you go into Startups and uncheck everything then restarted.
Did the system run better and faster?
Did you then check one entry and then reboot redoing the steps till you found the problem or everything was rechecked?
With Services did you hide the Microsoft stuff and then uncheck everything and redo the steps like in the Startups instructions. Clicking one entry back on and then rebooting?
Please do the below and let me know what the results are.
ok I need you to do the following and let me know what it says

For HD only

Let's make sure all drives are using DMA mode

Click the Start and then Right click My Computer
Select Manage and In the Computer Management window, select Device Manager
In the right pane, click to expand IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers
The click on the + sign next to your Hard drive controllers on both the Primary Controller and Secondary Controller
Right click on the drive and select Properties
Click the Advanced Settings tab
In the Transfer Mode box open the drop down menu and select DMA if available
Redo the steps to check each of the Controllers
Click OK and exit all windows
Reboot to make sure all settings take affect. Reply back with your results

yes i did check that services and msconfig thing ... yes my pc gets better then previus but that freezing problem is still there !

now you said DMA .. sir my hd setting are on that option already ... now what should i do ? install windows again ? or any thing else :S

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK try this and let me know. In the end I believe the issue is the lack of enough memory but i am not easily discouraged.

Go to

Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem