Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Desktop Progams Won't Open

• Please log in to reply

wildair

wildair

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Have a Gateway, running XP Media with 3G harddrive and 1G memory. If I'm away from the computer for several hours, I will not be able to open any of the desktop programs and I'm assuming any from the Start button as well, unless I do a complete shutdown, wait a while and then turn the computer on. If I have my screen saver on (Webshots with 10 photos) it will shut down and not come back on the manual restart. I used to get Out of Memory notices, but changed my page file, by your instructions to 1500 as Minimum and Maximum.

I also changed many of the resident programs on the taskbar to Always show, like Volume and Wireless connection and put Never show on others, but after clicking ok, I still have the same ones as before and not the ones I indicated.

Don't know if this is all connected or not.

Advertisements