Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with GSearch

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

BlackOxide

BlackOxide

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,976 posts
Good stuff, your logs now appear clean :)

If everything is now OK, let me know, then go through the Cleanup section below and have a read of the other information which will help keep your PC protected :)

Just let me know if you have any other queries or problems :)

Thank you for following the procedures, your system now appears free from Malware. Below is a list of steps that are well worth following, they help finalize the fixes we have been doing and will help minimize the risk of a smilar situation happening again by protecting your PC and helping secure it.

Please make sure you follow the Cleanup stage just below.

========== CLEANUP ==========

Remove the Tools used in this cleanup

1)
Tools on the Desktop:
You can now safely remove GMER and Win32kDiag from the Desktop (if present)

2)
Remove ComboFix

• Hold down the Windows key + R on your keyboard. This will display the Run dialogue box
  • In the Run box, type in ComboFix /Uninstall (Notice the space between the "x" and "/") then click OK
    Posted Image
  • Follow the prompts on the screen
  • A message should appear confirming that ComboFix was uninstalled

3)
Clear Old Restore Points
  • Run OTL, copy and paste the following into the Custom Scans/Fixes area at the bottom
    :Commands
    [CLEARALLRESTOREPOINTS]
  • Then Click Run Fix

4)
OTL Cleanup
  • Open OTL
  • Click the CleanUp button at the top, it will ask to reboot your PC, please allow it to do so

========== Anti Malware Protection ==========

Spyware Blaster
Spyware Blaster is an excellent program that creates a huge list of known suspect/dangerous sites and blocks any attempts to visit those sites by embedding the list into Internet Explorer and Firefox. Very useful to have!

MalwareBytes Anti-Malware
This is an excellent Anti-Malware product. It is recommended to periodically run a Quick Scan to keep your PC as clean as possible.

Free Anti-Virus protection...
If you haven't got an AntiVirus or are thinking of changing, my personal recommendations are Microsoft Security Essentials and Avast, both are free to use. Remember though, you can only have one AntiVirus installed at any one given time.
Microsoft Security Essentials
Avast

========== Updates ==========

Keeping your PC updated is vital in the battle against infections and exploits. There are many infections which will exploit loopholes within Windows itself, Java and Adobe Reader. Keeping these updated is a very good habit to get into.

Automatic Updates

Updates to your Operating System are vital in closing loopholes and fixing bugs which some infections exploit.
To keep your Windows updated, ensure that 'Automatic Updates' is enabled on your PC. To do this...
  • In XP,
  • Click the Start button
  • Click Run
  • Type sysdm.cpl into the run dialogue box and click OK
  • Click the Automatic Updates tab
  • Make sure Automatic (Recommended) is selected and click OK

In Vista,
  • Click the Start button
  • Click All Programs, then click Windows Update
  • In the left pane, click Change Settings
  • Choose Install updates autmatically (recommended), then click OK
Java updates
  • Click the Start button
  • Click Control Panel
  • Double Click Java
  • Click the Update tab
  • Click Update Now
  • Allow any updates to be downloaded and installed
Adobe Reader updates
  • Open Adobe Reader
  • Click Help on the menu at the top
  • Click Check for Updates
  • Allow any updates to be downloaded and installed
========== Alternate Browsers ==========

Using an alternative web browser can help protect your PC from infections which exploit security holes within Internet Explorer. They can also be quicker to load pages and offer more tools and features such as Firefox's huge addon list.

Firefox - My personal choice, easy to use, safer to use than Internet Explorer and a large number of excellent addons that can be installed such as AdBlockPlus and WOT.

Opera - Another efficient browser that works well. Quick and easy to use.

Have fun and stay safe online :)
BlackOxide

Advertisements

NorthernLight

NorthernLight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
thank you for all your help, i am very appreciative :) hopefully i helped in some way with your training. i ran through the clean-up and installed a couple new things. thank you for your time :) everything is back to working normally, hopefully it stays that way :)

BlackOxide

BlackOxide

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,976 posts
No problem, you're welcome :)

Yep you did and my training runs much more smoothly when people follow the instructions and behave well, so thanks :)

Glad we could help you out here, take care.

:)

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.