Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Portable apps on USB flash drive

• Please log in to reply

emkay_01

emkay_01

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm using WinXP Pro, and want to load 'portable' programs on a flash drive. I installed the portable applications on my drive following instructions. Some of the applications yielded a free standing executable that worked as I expected. Others installed folders contining an executable file, drivers, etc. The drive assignments vary from computer to computer, so the folders can't always be accessed. This wouldn't be a problem if there was a way to permanently assign drive Z to the flash drive.

I thought 'portable' meant that an application could be moved to different (Windows) computers, and still work.. Apparently it means not in the registry. I don't like the suites, because they don't contain the diferent applications I want.

I'd appreciate any help anyone can give me.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Portable apps do not write anything to the Windows Registry - if they do they cannot be called 'portable'.
It shouldn't make any difference what drive-letter is assigned to a USB drive that contains portable apps. They should continue to work regardless.
You don't need a permanent, constant drive-letter to run portable apps from a USB drive. You are probably doing something wrong.
I run portable apps every week from the same usb drive which I move between my tower & my laptop. Two different drive-letters, no problem.