Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NTLDR is missing

• Please log in to reply

coachken56

coachken56

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
I've tried to research this problem but I'm getting conflicting answers so I thought I'd better just start a new topic and ask the experts for help. You guys helped me out before and I'm very appreciative of that fact.

The problem that just started is that when booting up my computer, it goes to the Bios screen that seems to load and immediately after I get the following message:

Loading PBR for Descriptor 2...Done

NTLDR is missing
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to Restart.

When I press ctrl+alt+del it just goes back to the same message like it's trapped in a continuous loop. I can't pinpoint anything that I might have done to the system that would have started this.

The OS system that I have is:

Windows XP Media Center Edition
Version 2002
SP3

The computer I have is:

Dell Dimension E510
System = Dell DM051
Bios Version = AO2 (10/13/05)

It's a Dell and it didn't come with any disks so I don't have a Windows XP disk to repair it with.

Can you please help me get my computer up and running again? Thanks.

Advertisements

doire

doire

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Have you tried any of these options?

http://www.computerh.../ch000465.htm#b

coachken56

coachken56

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Thanks for responding to my plea for help. No, I haven't because it seems that all the solutions require some sort of Windows XP CD or bootable CD and none of that came with the computer when I bought it. I guess I could try some of the things they suggest that doesn't require a CD and see what happens.

One thing that is does mention is to verify that the hard drive is properly setup in the BIOS/CMOS setup but it doesn't explain how to do that. How would I go about verifying that the HD is setup properly?

doire

doire

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Thanks for responding to my plea for help. No, I haven't because it seems that all the solutions require some sort of Windows XP CD or bootable CD and none of that came with the computer when I bought it. I guess I could try some of the things they suggest that doesn't require a CD and see what happens.

One thing that is does mention is to verify that the hard drive is properly setup in the BIOS/CMOS setup but it doesn't explain how to do that. How would I go about verifying that the HD is setup properly?

Depending on the model of system you have just keep pressing F2 once you power on the system.

A blue screen (in most cases blue) should appear. Thast the BIOS

Scroll through the options until you get to Drives (or somehting smiliar)

Hit enter and it should show you the hard drive you have

Make sure its set to auto detect - if not scroll to atuodetect

Save chnages and exiting settings - pc should boot to windows if this was the cuase of the problem

Its a long shot that this is the cuase though.

Might be best asking a friend for a loan of a XP disk

Good luck