Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

GPU Temp over 90 degrees!

• Please log in to reply

ohara.matt123

ohara.matt123

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My gpu temp is way to high! ive tried everything to ati tool, nvidia control panel, evga precision tool, rivatuner, speedfan and i cannot change my gpu fan speed! its grayed out on every single program and unable to change! i tried reinstalling new drivers i have the latest driver for my graphics card (Nividia Geoforce 8200M G) driver version: 258.96. and i even got a usb powered cooling fan for it and its still extremely hot! but the weird thing is it works perfectly and works all day and never shuts off. but still i am worried for damage to the hardware by it being so extremely hot. What can i do to change the gpu fan speed or any fan speed so i can cool my laptop down without spending any money on hardware?

My Specs And Laptop Are
Windows 7 32bit
Compaq Presario CQ50-215NR Notebook PC
1.90 GHz AMD Athlon X2 QL-60 Dual-Core Processor
2GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce 8200M 895 MB

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
GPUs run very hot compared to CPUs and 90°C and hotter is not uncommon. The fact this is a laptop limits your options. Is that USB cooling fan self powered? If it draws power from the USB port, that creates a greater demand on the charging/regulator circuits, which increases heat.

The only thing more I can suggest is to do your best to keep all the vents, cavities, and ports clean of heat trapping dust.

Edited by Digerati, 28 July 2010 - 10:52 PM.