Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Odd Networking Issue XP Pro

• Please log in to reply

StewBizzle

StewBizzle

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
In general I have had pretty good luck with networking in XP pro, but this situation has struck me as an oddity. Dealing with two computers, (one desktop, one laptop) running windows XP, the laptop is the only computer among multiple desktops able to connect to the internet. The odd part is it will still connect through a wrt54g router (running tomato), but every other computer has some DNS issue, and can barely find an IP address.

I have thus far tried multiple network cables (just for giggles), restarting both the modem and the router, as well as changed the router's MAC address to match the working laptop's. Oddly, this has allowed the laptop to connect through the router, but every other computer continues to struggle. I am at something of a loss...DHCP is enabled, and I have tried directly connecting to the modem with other computers to no avail.

Generally I would be inclined to blame some aspect of the hardware, but given the number of working NIC's I have thrown at this situation, the only aspect I am left with to take into consideration is the modem itself. If anyone has any ideas, I am definitely open to suggestion, anything is better then nothing compared to dealing with the cable company!

Additionally, I have played with settings in the router, as wel as the working laptop, and nothing seems to have a drastic effect until another computer comes into play, which is even more disturbing...

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

but every other computer has some DNS issue, and can barely find an IP address.

How do these computers connect? Are they able to access the router's internal menu?