Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fans run; but no display

• Please log in to reply

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,795 posts
Yes, I thought you may notice that, and being as I do not overclock I googled those figures and not by coincidence I am sure found the info in the attached link http://www.tomshardw...ddr2200-ddr1600

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Personally i like MSI MB's for cheap builds. For my middle range computers i build i use Intel MB's. I do like using the Gigabyte MB's for my Better builds along with XFX and Evga boards. You have to get real picky with the high dollar computers and choose exactly what you are looking for in the MB. A lot of people like Asus boards, but i just have not had a lot of luck with them, so i kinda stay away from them.]

Well, Not Quite. You see Gigabyte MB's have always been pretty good for overclocking. So you most likely can set the memory speed at different setting than the front side bus speed. FSB speed is usually determined by the processor with intel and they are usually locked in( except the extreme editions). So if you can find the 2200 memory(and afford it) you can run it with overclocked timing on the motherboard.

There are 2000 and 1800 speed DDR3 memory also.
http://www.kingston....ts/khx_ddr3.asp

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 05 August 2010 - 05:14 PM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.

With all the testing that has been done, this is just a check.

Is the speaker you are using connected to the front header block on the motherboard or on the back speaker port?

Panda125

Panda125

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hello again,

I decided since I just had gotten new MoBo and PSU and was still within my window to re-replace them, i did!

I got the mobo that was suggested that gigabyte one and a corsair 750 W PSU. I turn on this mobo now and it just keeps cutting on and off every 3 seconds or so. I swear im never gonna get it to work. Fun times!

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Hi.

Could be a short.
Have you checked the stand offs are correct?
On your new mobo, check the top right hand hole as in pictures, they do not seem to be in the same place.

Edited by iammykyl, 14 August 2010 - 02:33 AM.

Panda125

Panda125

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Hi.

Could be a short.
Have you checked the stand offs are correct?
On your new mobo, check the top right hand hole as in pictures, they do not seem to be in the same place.

Not sure exactly what you mean by this post in regards to stand offs or a "top right hand hole"; clarification?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,795 posts
An explanation of what standoffs are used for http://en.wikipedia....ter_case_screws
they should only be placed where there is a screw hole in the MB.

"top right hand hole";

Some MBs do not have a standoff in either the left or right corner, they just have a metal post.
I recently swapped out a MB in a HP machine and the left hand corner had one of these posts and
it had a metal tab securing the MB, it may possibly be something to do with the warranty.
Have you tried a replacement stick of Ram, if you have I think we may be looking at a bad CPU.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
It may sound dumb, but did you use thermal paste when you attached the CPU fan to the processor? Without any paste the problem your having is what usually happens.

SRX660

Panda125

Panda125

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Ok the RAM was tested and is working properly, you mention this thermal paste I have not re-applied it since all of this went down; should i reapply it? Will this really prevent the computer from shutting on and off? Right now it seems as if all the fans are running and the cpu fan will run for a half second and stop while the rest of the pc is still on for another 3 seconds and then shuts off.

Just ordered a new CPU hopefully this is finally over... guess that means the PSU truly did fry almost the entire PC.

Edited by Panda125, 23 August 2010 - 02:41 PM.