Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Whats The best internet security for windows 7

• Please log in to reply

DJ_Inferno

DJ_Inferno

• PipPipPip
  • 108 posts
HI guys I am not sure if this is the right place to put this request but here it goes..I am running windows 7 64 bit ultimate and i am using microsoft security essentials I am looking for a better paid internet security program and was wondering if i can get some help with some suggestions...It is really hard as every website you go to to look for reviews are all different and you never know if that particular webiste has an association with a particular software company and is giving a fair review. I would also like one that doesnt slow down your pc while running in the background or scanning......So any help with which is the best to go for would be muchly appreciated...

I have been considering Kaspersky, Bit defender and CA internet security

Advertisements

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Have you considered Avast Internet Security I use that on my 64bit Windows 7

DJ_Inferno

DJ_Inferno

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Have you considered Avast Internet Security I use that on my 64bit Windows 7

yeah i used that once before but i had some issues with things not being picked up

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Your going to have that with all products.

Top free recommended products:
Microsoft Security Essentials
Avast

Anti malware (can be used in conjunction with other anti virus programs)
Malwarebytes

Commercial (not free) programs :
Kaspersky Internet Security
TrendMicro Internet Security
Honorable mention:
Norton Internet Security

I know Norton and the others offer "family packs". By one and licensing to install it to as many as 3 computers.

Professional disclaimer; I support trend micro for a very large enterprise. I am partial to their products. I use Avast and Malwarebytes at home and on my family's pc's.

DJ_Inferno

DJ_Inferno

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Your going to have that with all products.

Top free recommended products:
Microsoft Security Essentials
Avast

Anti malware (can be used in conjunction with other anti virus programs)
Malwarebytes

Commercial (not free) programs :
Kaspersky Internet Security
TrendMicro Internet Security
Honorable mention:
Norton Internet Security

I know Norton and the others offer "family packs". By one and licensing to install it to as many as 3 computers.

Professional disclaimer; I support trend micro for a very large enterprise. I am partial to their products. I use Avast and Malwarebytes at home and on my family's pc's.

Thanks for the advice....I know all with let things through I was just hoping to find the best one that lets the least amount and has the best overall rating against everything

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hey DJ,

I have always been an ESET fan. I have ESET Smart Security on my system now and it's fantastic. My activities don't my system at risk, but I have never had a problem with Malware. I also run MalwareBytes as an on-demand scanner, just to double check. You also get a firewall with the package, which I enjoy very much (after being a Zone Alarm user for years). The firewall piece is somewhat complicated for the average home user (if you need to tinker with rules, etc) but it really does offer great protection.

Free products such as Avast work very well, but once I tried Smart Security, I started liking it more and more.

In order to help you research various products available, I suggest checking out the test results from AV Comparatives.

Remember, if you're torn between products, you can usually download a demo version and see how things work out.

Good luck :)

DJ_Inferno

DJ_Inferno

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Hey DJ,

I have always been an ESET fan. I have ESET Smart Security on my system now and it's fantastic. My activities don't my system at risk, but I have never had a problem with Malware. I also run MalwareBytes as an on-demand scanner, just to double check. You also get a firewall with the package, which I enjoy very much (after being a Zone Alarm user for years). The firewall piece is somewhat complicated for the average home user (if you need to tinker with rules, etc) but it really does offer great protection.

Free products such as Avast work very well, but once I tried Smart Security, I started liking it more and more.

In order to help you research various products available, I suggest checking out the test results from AV Comparatives.

Remember, if you're torn between products, you can usually download a demo version and see how things work out.

Good luck :)

Thanks mate it is very much appreciated