Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot make system go to Hibernate or Sleep

• Please log in to reply

rogerbid

rogerbid

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
Hi Everyone,

Please can someone tell me how I can make my desktop PC go into Sleep or Hibernate mode?

I am at my wits end, I have tried all I can think of yet still it will not perform this task. I can select Hibernate or Sleep from the Start/Shutdown key but it will not do this automatically after a selected interval. I have tried to follow numerous sets of instructions on how to set Power Options and must have tried just about every combination conceivale without success.

I have Windows 7 running on a new WD 1TB HDD, with another 1TB and a 500GB HDD. The Motherboard is an ASUS P5Q SE2 and the chipset has been updated.

In the BIOS these settings apply:

Suspend mode---"S3 Only"
ACPI Support---"Enabled"
ACPI APIC Support---"Enabled"

APM:
Restore On AC Power Loss ---"Power Off"
Power on by RTC Alarm---"Disabled"
Power on by External Modems---"Disabled"
Power on by PCI Devicces---"
Disabled"Power on by PCIE Devices---"
Disabled"Power on by PS/2 Keyboards---"Space Bar"
Power on by PS/2 Mouse---"Enabled"

As far as "S3" mode goes, the jumper on the motherboard is across pins 2 & 3, (+5VSB), which appears to be correct, if I am reading the MB Manual correctly.

I do not have any Screensaver running.

Tests are showing that regardless of which Power Scheme I adopt, the monitor will switch off on cue but the HDD will not go into Sleep or Hibernate mode, though both these options are now there to be selected from the Start button.

I look forward to hearing if anyone can assist me with this,

Best wishes,

Roger

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
I suppose, my reply won't satisfy you, but what's the advantage from using any power saving features on desktop?
They rarely work flawlessly and I always have them disabled.

rogerbid

rogerbid

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
Hi,

I have been coming round to the same point of view. I really wanted to set up automatic hibernate so that, if I am called away from the computer and leave it running, if I do not return for sometime it will just shut down and save open files etc automatically,.

Guess I will just have to get into the habit of manually putting it to hiberbnate whenever I am called away,

Thanks,

Roger

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Yeah, the thing is, that MS has been never able to make those power saving features to work flawlessly.
I never use them and my computer is off only during the night.