Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Starcraft II will install on my mac but not my PC!

• Please log in to reply

la_z_boy

la_z_boy

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Hello everyone,

As you may have noticed a little game called Starcraft II was just released and there are some people getting a number of issues regarding installation. I am one of those poor souls. You might have heard\seen that some people, while installing, get to a certain percentage (in my case 29% - 31%) and then there is a fatal error and the installer crashes, giving a message similar to the one below:

"The file "C:\StarCraft II\Campaigns\Liberty.SC2Campaign\base.SC2Assets : Assets\Textures\briefing_video_thanson02_00_low.ogv" could not be written. If this problem persists, please contact Blizzard Technical Support. (MPQTarget::Write/SFileWriteFile)"

I have tried doing several methods recommended on t'internet forums to circumvent this:
1. allowing hidden files and folders to be seen, then copying the contents of the DVD to my hard drive then installing from that.
2. Running the installer as an administrator (I ONLY have an admin profile because my computer is not in a public library...)
3. Clearing out C:/Documents and Settings/YourName/Local Settings/Temp
4. Disabling my antivirus software
5. cleaning the regsitry with CCleaner

The terrible insult is that the game installs perfectly on my wife's macbook, but alas her macbook is not gifted with teh graphics, meaning I can just about look at the pretty menus.

Might I add that I currently can't boot into safe mode and I am aware that installing in safe mode might be another option. Also some have said that resetting the BIOS could help but no way am I trying that.

Can you guys think of anything? Could there be clashes between programs? Codecs? Maybe a certain piece of software needs to be upgraded (I have latest directx, flash, java, sound drivers etc.)? I have an ATI graphics card if that means anything?

Any and all help will be very much appreciated

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

2. Running the installer as an administrator (I ONLY have an admin profile because my computer is not in a public library...)

So by this, do you mean that you haven't right-clicked in the setup.exe file (or whatever the setup file on the DVD is called) and chosen Run As Administrator? Just saying this, because even though you are on an admin account, you still may need to do it this way to make it work.

If that doesn't work, have you tried downloading the game from the Blizzard website and seeing if that version will install without issue? The following link should get you to the download page, but you will need to login to battle.net when asked:

https://us.battle.ne...CII-1&region=US

la_z_boy

la_z_boy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Actually now that you mention it I hadn't tried right clicking and selecting run as administrator. When I do this it says the service can't be started because "it is disabled or there are no enabled devices associated with it". Perhaps I haven't set thins up properly regarding admins?

As for downloading from Blizzard, tried that, didn't work...

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
What version of Windows are you running, and what is the exact error message you are getting when you right-click and choose Run as Administrator?

la_z_boy

la_z_boy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
I have XP, and this is the full error message (minus the file location path)

"The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no devices associated with it"

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts

I have XP, and this is the full error message (minus the file location path)

"The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no devices associated with it"

Can you post the file path so that I know which service it is talking about? You can X-out any information in the path that conveys any personal information if there is any.

la_z_boy

la_z_boy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
Basically, since I copied the dvd contents to my hard drive, it's the installer in the folder I moved the files to:

"C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Desktop\StarcraftII\installer.exe"

Edited by la_z_boy, 02 August 2010 - 08:11 AM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I'd suggest posting in the Starcraft Technical Support forum, as they will be able to help you out better.

http://us.battle.net...en/forum/13438/