Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Acer Laptop beeps and is not working properly

• Please log in to reply

manishkothari88

manishkothari88

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello, I've an Acer Aspire 5536 laptop which is about a year old. Recently, it has been acting strange.

Whenever I start my laptop, i hear long beeps atleast for a minute, it always asks me in which mode i should log into windows (safe mode or normal mode).

After windows starts, my keyboard does not work properly, sometimes some keys work and some don't....also, the numpad doesn't work....

My friend tried a linux boot disc, but the same problem occured in it, so I'm guessing its not a Windows problem, surely a hardware one....

Please help me out as my one year warranty has just expired....

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:)
I'm sorry to hear about your issue but lets see if we can figure this out for you. Beep codes are there to help us find out what is going wrong.
How to Interpret Computer Error Beep Codes

When the computer makes those funny sound via the system speaker, it's not doing it because it wants to be heard.
The computer is trying to talk to the operator/technician and tell them what's wrong.

Beep Codes : This is for most bios types and\or manufacturers.

manishkothari88

manishkothari88

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I don't see any Acer beep code list on that link. Which one of the beep codes should I refer to?

Btw, my computer beeps atleast 20 times, does that mean it has more than one errors?!? :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are not looking for Acer but the maker of the bios itself.
Are the beeps the same pitch or are they high low high low?
You may have a power issue or memory issue.

manishkothari88

manishkothari88

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I ended up getting it repaired. It seems the keyboard was at fault. Got it replaced. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks for letting us know what the resolution was and I'm glad you have it working correctly now.
Thank you for giving GTG a chance to help you and please enjoy the wealth of information here.