Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

lost restore and user accounts!

• Please log in to reply

graylady

graylady

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Pawn shop computer, good looking but now I have taken on someones problems. I did a recovery and now have lost the ability to see the user accounts page and the recovery page and cannot use "java script" . And no I didn't get the CD's that came with the computer.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
why did you do a recovery?
anyhow you can undo a recovery
To undo the last restoration
Access System Restore through Help and Support.
Click Undo my last restoration. Save all files and close all programs, and then click Next.
Notes

To access the System Restore Wizard, click Start, and then click Help and Support. Click Performance and Maintenance, click Using System Restore to undo changes, and then click Run the System Restore Wizard.
If you want to undo an earlier restoration, click Restore my computer to an earlier time in the Welcome to System Restore screen, and then select the relevant restore operation restore point listed in the System Restore Wizard.

Edited by peterm, 24 May 2005 - 12:02 AM.

graylady

graylady

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Sorry taking so long new to this! I don't have a black screen. the box shows up and says it is the user accounts but there is nothing there.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
ok as you restart the computer tap and keep on tapping the F8 key (top row)
this should give you a screen with different options one of these will be
start with last known good configuration hightlight this and press enter

graylady

graylady

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Have tried that and it doesn't make any difference. Is there something that I can download to check this problem? Or is there a site that can check on this problem? I'm open to suggestions.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
1)So you got to the part of Last good configuration
and this did not work?
2)So when you start exactly what happens Do you get the windows is loading message and then it gives you a message box ?
or does it give you somewhere to put in a user name?

graylady

graylady

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
the window comes up. the top says user accounts. but the whole page is blank and will not respond to the back and forward keys and the user accounts key. Just about ready to totally wipe it clean and start over but so much trouble! Is there anyone out there that has had this trouble? Do you think he (the Grandson) kept restoring ( he watched me do it and he's very bright) what would that do to a computer, not going back to the previous restore and then trying a different restore point.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
could we back up?

define "recovery"

How did you do this without the CD

What prompted you to do this?

What kind of computer is it? What model and brand?