Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hooking multiple DSL modems to our Dlink DSS 24+

• Please log in to reply

KelJu

KelJu

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
What type of router would I need to buy to hook a DSL modem to a switch which is on a network of 10.3.164.0? Don't most non commercial routers force you to use the 192.168.0.0 network? I need to hook a DSL modem to a Dlink DSS 24* to get a VPN setup for some of the devices on that switch.

Also, we have two completely unused DSL connections we are paying for currently. I would like to hook multiple DSL connections to this switch and then spread out the load by setting the gateway statically on various devices on that switch. I think all I need is a small residential router for each DSL modem. Then I would need to make sure the gateway of each of those routers is different.

Does this sound right?

Edited by KelJu, 02 August 2010 - 09:30 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

What type of router would I need to buy to hook a DSL modem to a switch which is on a network of 10.3.164.0? Don't most non commercial routers force you to use the 192.168.0.0 network? I need to hook a DSL modem to a Dlink DSS 24* to get a VPN setup for some of the devices on that switch.

Also, we have two completely unused DSL connections we are paying for currently. I would like to hook multiple DSL connections to this switch and then spread out the load by setting the gateway statically on various devices on that switch. I think all I need is a small residential router for each DSL modem. Then I would need to make sure the gateway of each of those routers is different.

Does this sound right?

you can set the internal ip address of your router (the LAN side) to any PRIVATE IP range that you want (like the 10.x.x.x that you've got) so that all of the computers inside of the LAN can retain their 10.x.x.x addresses. Basically any router would allow you to do this. If you're going to satically assign all of the IPs on the LAN then you can just disable the DHCP server in the router.