Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to make computer as fast as possible

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope that is ok as sometimes they get changed and it can cause slow downs.
We can continue with other diagnostic tests and see if they will resolve anymore speed.
Go to

Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem

Advertisements

ohsnap

ohsnap

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
^ I will get to that, but it seems my major problem was RAM.

I upgraded it today to 1.5GB and I have no complaints whatsoever. Everything went smoothly.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

^ I will get to that, but it seems my major problem was RAM.

I upgraded it today to 1.5GB and I have no complaints whatsoever. Everything went smoothly.

This is great to hear. So the system is booting faster? :)
Programs opening and closing faster?
Everything running to your liking now?
Are you satisfied with the added ram and the performance of your system now?

ohsnap

ohsnap

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts

This is great to hear. So the system is booting faster? :)

Yes.

Programs opening and closing faster?

Yes.

Everything running to your liking now?

Yes.

Are you satisfied with the added ram and the performance of your system now?

Yes.

--

Just an aside, I do have a MacBook Pro, but it feels much better putting in RAM to this PC because it's my main desktop.

I've been using this computer, with no problems for 7 years (yes, 7 years). The only time I've experienced a problem was when I posted on this forum. Most of those problems were slowdown issues.

I'm seriously really happy seeing programs pop up instantly with this 1.5GB RAM. It's little memory compared to the standards today (2GB+), but I'm happy with it now.

I think I injected some more years into this Dell. I don't think it has enough RAM or specs to run Windows 7, so I'll just have to stick with XP.

Thanks!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I've been using this computer, with no problems for 7 years (yes, 7 years).

I just built a new system in January to go along with my existing system that I have had for 10 years now. My original system is still running and if not for the fact it has a older video card in it (onboard) I could hook it to my new lcd monitor along with my new ssytem via a kvm I could be using both my systems.
That being said I am so glad you are now back up and running.
Congratulations. :) for a successful resolution for your issue.

You are very welcome. I'm glad we could help and please let us know how everything works out for you.
If there is anything else we can do to help please feel free to ask. I appreciate that you allowed us to assist you with your issue and for your patience.
Thank you for choosing GeeksToGo for help. :) :)
This issue now appears to be resolved.