Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Won't Start - No Orig Setup CDROM

• Please log in to reply

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
http://www.emachines...ies&model=T3256

The various documents and manuals for your computer

Edited by Macboatmaster, 04 August 2010 - 02:30 PM.

Advertisements

RT3

RT3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

The file I386\Ntkrnlmp.exe could not be loaded. The error code is 7. OR
The file I386\L_intl.nlf could not be loaded. The error code is 7

CAUSE
This behavior can occur if either one of the following conditions is true:

* There are incorrect settings in the computer's basic input/output system (BIOS) configuration.

-or-
* One or more of the random access memory (RAM) modules that is installed on the computer is faulty.
Presuming that you have not altered the BIOS settings, have a look at the ram and if you have two sticks of ram, take one out from the second slot. If that does not work, take the one from the first slot and replace it with the one from the second slot.
There is a chance that it is the ram and not the hard disk.
Please do not hesitate to ask if you need more guidance.

RT3

RT3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
I don't know what slave, BIOS and RAM modules are. At this point I just want to find the easiest way to try and and access/save my documents / pictures to a CD. Then I can decide whether to take it to a computer repair shop or just buy a new computer.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Slave is to take the hard drive out of that computer and slave it to another computer. ie: NOT the drive that runs the other computer but as a slave drive. You then copy all your data to a flash pen or preferably a DVD OR better still to another drive.
BIOS is the setup of the computer and is normally accessed by pressing F2 or delete on the first post beep or screen.
RAM is memory and is shown and explained in the link I sent you for YOUR computer on my post 16 in the manual for that machine.
OR you could use the UBCD link I sent you and use that to access the computer and recover the data.
I know it is all very confusing, but if you manage to sort this out, you will feel great and not need to pay for someone to do it.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 04 August 2010 - 04:47 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you might want to try this before removing the drive to slave it...
run chkdsk /r from the rc.iso cd...be sure the bios is set to boot from the cd drive first...

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start by clicking on BurnCDCC.exe
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its rc.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....

boot from the rc.iso cd....
type in chkdsk /r press enter
note the single space before the /

Chkdsk will display the specific stage it is checking as well as the percentage of completion of the stage. You cannot do anything else on your computer while chkdsk is running. When chkdsk is finished, it will automatically reboot your computer.
NOTE this can take a long time to complete..it may even appear to hang or get stuck at a certain % for a couple of hours...then complete
it may even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...let it run...there are 5 stages

WARNING... Microsoft does not recommend interrupting the CHKDSK process, and Microsoft does not guarantee the integrity of the disk if the CHKDSK program is interrupted.
DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER WHILE RUNNING CHKDSK or you can have severe problems...
if the above does not allow you to boot normally then try the steps below one at a time and only try the next step if you still can't boot normally...there is no need to do all the steps...just do them until you can boot up
nojoy...
boot from the cd again...
then type fixmbr press enter...reboot
no joy ....boot from the cd again...
type in fixboot press enter...reboot
nojoy...boot from the cd again...

Type in bootcfg /scan and press Enter

if it says total identified window installs: 1

Type in bootcfg /rebuild and press Enter...

It will identify your XP installation...type Y once you see this prompt.

You will be prompted to enter the load identifier...type in Microsoft XP Home Edition or Microsoft XP Professional depending on whichever version you have...press enter

You will be prompted to enter the load options...type in /fastdetect and press Enter

Type in exit and press Enter

remove the cd and Reboot

RT3

RT3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

you might want to try this before removing the drive to slave it...
run chkdsk /r from the rc.iso cd...be sure the bios is set to boot from the cd drive first...

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start by clicking on BurnCDCC.exe
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its rc.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....

boot from the rc.iso cd....
type in chkdsk /r press enter
note the single space before the /

Chkdsk will display the specific stage it is checking as well as the percentage of completion of the stage. You cannot do anything else on your computer while chkdsk is running. When chkdsk is finished, it will automatically reboot your computer.
NOTE this can take a long time to complete..it may even appear to hang or get stuck at a certain % for a couple of hours...then complete
it may even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...let it run...there are 5 stages

WARNING... Microsoft does not recommend interrupting the CHKDSK process, and Microsoft does not guarantee the integrity of the disk if the CHKDSK program is interrupted.
DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER WHILE RUNNING CHKDSK or you can have severe problems...
if the above does not allow you to boot normally then try the steps below one at a time and only try the next step if you still can't boot normally...there is no need to do all the steps...just do them until you can boot up
nojoy...
boot from the cd again...
then type fixmbr press enter...reboot
no joy ....boot from the cd again...
type in fixboot press enter...reboot
nojoy...boot from the cd again...

Type in bootcfg /scan and press Enter

if it says total identified window installs: 1

Type in bootcfg /rebuild and press Enter...

It will identify your XP installation...type Y once you see this prompt.

You will be prompted to enter the load identifier...type in Microsoft XP Home Edition or Microsoft XP Professional depending on whichever version you have...press enter

You will be prompted to enter the load options...type in /fastdetect and press Enter

Type in exit and press Enter

remove the cd and Reboot

RT3

RT3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Happyrock- I'm not sure I'm following you..if by rc.iso cd you mean The Windows XP Recovery Console, I think I "burned" that last here on my computer at work, took it home and ran it on my affected computer at home. I put the cd in to boot from the cd, hit R on the WELCOME TO SETUP screen, then the next screen where it asks you which windows installation would you like to log onto the only prompt was c:\> not C:\WINDOWS like it shows in the instructions article. At what point (what screen)do you type in type in chkdsk /r press enter? (Please note: this is all new to me)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
first don't quote anything unless you need to...
I know you already have the recovery console cd (rc.iso)...but other people may not
type it in at the c:\>

Edited by happyrock, 05 August 2010 - 08:46 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Happyrock.
I sent him the Recovery console and the iso burning programme.
Will you do me a favour and have a look at post 13.
When he tried to run it - the recovery console he got the message shown - before he could enter a command

RT3

RT3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Happyrock.
I sent him the Recovery console and the iso burning programme.
Will you do me a favour and have a look at post 13.
When he tried to run it - the recovery console he got the message shown - before he could enter a command

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
RT3
Happyrock asked you, please do not keep quoting the reply from me or him before you post your reply

RT3

RT3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Some Progress...I followed Happyrock's instructions to do chkdsk from the recovery console cd. It ran for quite a while, stopped at 33% and said the volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems. then it listed total / available disk space and total / available allocation units, then it showed the c prompt by itself. I rebooted, went through same start up and this time on the screen that asks which windows installation, the word WINDOWS appeared, I pressed 1 and then it asked for admin password - I have no idea what it is so could not proceed. I have never had to enter it - windows just starts up automatically - so I just hit enter, but the c prompt just came up again. I rebooted again and selected start windows normally and it went to the Windows XP screen with the little status bar showing it was trying to start, but then it went back to the start up screen. I will go to the Offline NT Password and Registry Editor and see if I can reset my admin password - I hope it doesn't involve trying to change settings on the affected computer because I can't access any menus, etc (unless it is something I can do with recovery console.) Thanks again to you both for your help. PS - I tried fixmbr but it said computer appears to have a nob-standard or invalid master boot record and gave me some other warnings so I did'nt proceed. Plus I would guess that trying to do any command on the recover console is going to require the admin password so it appears that is my next step.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Now that chkdsk has shown unrecoverable problems I personally would move directly to concerning yourself with backup of your personal data ie: documents photos etc.
I consider this your most important step. If that hard drive crashes, you may not be able to do that.
I would move directly to my suggestions in my post 19 - Slave or UBCD and see if you can access your data.
If you have another computer - slave is the easiest.
If this is an IDE drive change the jumpers to slave.
More help on this if needed.

http://www.wdc.com/e...2579-001037.pdf
NOTE THE LINK IS ONLY AN EXAMPLE it depends on your drive as to where the jumper is positioned

Edited by Macboatmaster, 05 August 2010 - 03:40 PM.

RT3

RT3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

RT3
Happyrock asked you, please do not keep quoting the reply from me or him before you post your reply

RT3

RT3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
To both- I apologize. If you mean do not recount your instructions (the steps you suggested I follow) in my reply, I will be less detailed when I reply and not restate your instructions. If you mean don't include the previous message when I reply - please tell me how to do that (I just hit reply, then post). Sorry, I just joined like 2 days ago and it is not my intention to offend the people who are taking the time to help me... but I'm not sure I know what you mean, or else I would not have done it.