Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC will not boot; Reboot & select proper boot device message

• Please log in to reply

RiffRaffCat75

RiffRaffCat75

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Hey guys, I need some help. I've been using this machine everyday for a little over a year and last night I shut in down and went to bed. This morning I boot it up and I get "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key". I need to try everything before calling it a shot hard drive. I need the files on this machine and I don't have money to take it in to be fixed. Please! Any help would be so great.

Other info that may be of help; last night before shut down it did some windows ups dates, so I was wondering if there is any way that I do can a windows repair and see what would happen. Just a thought. I know specs of the machine would help you but I just can't think right now. Lets see, it's running windows xp 32bit version, 500GB Seasgate hard drive, ASUS motherboard, and a Raden HD 4650 graphics card. That's all I can think of right now. Please help! thanks

UPDATE:
A little bit of an update, I ran the Seagate SeaTools for DOS and it's saying No Hard drives found. Any ideas? Also I opened the tower casing and made sure all cables were setted right and unconnected and reconncected them to make sure. Then rebooted and ran the Seatools again and got the same info.

Edited by Artellos, 04 August 2010 - 02:00 PM.
Update edited in by Artellos

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
does the bios see the hard drive...

RiffRaffCat75

RiffRaffCat75

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Well, it seems that I have found a bit of info. This Seagate hard drive is known for Firmware issues that the company knew about. Well nobody told me! Thanks Seagate, I just love having all my digital info flushed because y'all didn't tell me that your hard drive was faulty. At least that is what I've heard. Yes, I know, you are supposed to backup everything, but a 500GB HDD can hold a butt load of files and that's not an easy storage fix for backup data. Anyway, that's what I found out.

RiffRaffCat75

RiffRaffCat75

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Nope! It sure don't. The Seagate Tool couldn't even find the hard drive. Here's a link to what I have found. Hope it helps others before it's too late for them.

http://www.geeksquad...da-hard-drives/

http://www.tomshardw...pdate,6867.html

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you check the bios...

RiffRaffCat75

RiffRaffCat75

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
How do you check the BIOS? I know if you press F2 when it's booting up it should take you to the BIOS, right? And then what from that point?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
give me the make and model of your computer...

RiffRaffCat75

RiffRaffCat75

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Happyrock, it is a custom build. The mother board is ASUS, if that helps. Here's other info;

Desktop where I use PhotoshopCS3;
*OS Windows XP 32 bit system with service pack 3
*AMD Phenom 9650 Quad-core 2.4Ghz processor
*3.25 GB of RAM (from 2, 2GB cards)
*ASUS M3A78 Motherboard
*ATi Radeon HD 4650 Graphics card 512 MB
*Realtek Ethernet
*Seagate 500 GB hard drive
*VIA High Definition Audio VT1708B
*500 Watt power supply
*LG Flatron 22” LCD monitor
*Microsoft USB Wireless Mouse and Keyboard
*LG Multi DVD ROM drive

Does any of this help? Thanks for your help.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

How do you check the BIOS? I know if you press F2 when it's booting up it should take you to the BIOS, right? And then what from that point?

Do you see any drives listed on the main screen or are all "Not Detected"?

Posted Image

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
thanks spywaredr...
if the bios doesn't see any hard drive...unplug from the wall...then replace the drive cable with a known good one...plug it back in and check the bios again to see if the drive is seen

RiffRaffCat75

RiffRaffCat75

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
OK, it came down to the firmware bug that Seagate had going on. I had to send the HDD to i365, a recovery service that Seagate uses, for them to flash the HDD with the new firmware. I just hope they can do something with it considering it's locked up because of the faulty firmware. I hope to get it back by the end of next week. When or if I get it back I'll post an update. Thanks for your help.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
thanks for letting us know... :)

RiffRaffCat75

RiffRaffCat75

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
Well it turns out that the Seagate Firmware bug was the issue and i365 updated it and sent it back to me. I reinstalled it and it works like it never had a problem.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
That is great news. Thanks for letting us know.