Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive Failure to initialize

• Please log in to reply

katheryn65

katheryn65

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Hi,

I have a Lenovo T60 thinkpad running windows XP. Everything was running fine, then on a boot, i got the following message "2100 HDD0 Hard disk drive initialization error 2 Press esc to continue"

After doing some research, it was pretty clear my hard drive (sata 60GB) was junk so i bought a new HD (sata 160GB) upon booting i get the following message while in boot agent "Media test failure check cable" Then it continues on and gives me the following message "Cannot boot from any device" and then it gives the current boot order of:

1: ATAPI CD0 MODEL DVD/CDRW UJDA775 ---> No Valid Operation System
2: ATA HDD0 MODEL Hitachi HTS545016B9A300 {P> No valid operating system
3: ATA HDD1 >DEVICE NOT FOUND
4: ATA HDD2 >DEVICE NOT FOUND
5: USB FDD >DEVICE NOT FOUND
6: USB CD >DEVICE NOT FOUND
7: USB HDD >DEVICE NOT FOUND
8: PCI LAN MODEL IBA GE SLOT 0200 V1234 -> NO VALID OPERATING SYSTEM FOUND
EXCLUDED FROM BOOT ORDER
ATAPI CD1

I have changed the boot order to the CD/DVD drive to boot first. I have also changed the setting for the HD to "Compatibility" I have attempted to re-seat the old and new HD, they are installed fine.

I tried using the recovery CD's at boot up with both the new and old HD and i get the same messages. I have also tried to boot with just the battery and no power cord, with the power cord and no battery, i have also booted without the cmos battery.

I'm at a loss as to how to be able to partition the new HD and what else to check/look for, if someone could please help me get this back up and running, i would appreciate it. :)

Katheryn

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Depending on the version of XP you have you might have to partition your Hard drive so it will be 124go or less so that XP will install on it.

katheryn65

katheryn65

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Depending on the version of XP you have you might have to partition your Hard drive so it will be 124go or less so that XP will install on it.

Hi,

I am running XP Pro

The original HD crashed and i can't get it to boot up at all. I have been trying to load the set up disks on the new HD, but i don't believe it came partitioned or formatted. But seeing i have no OS available on that computer i have no utilities available to partition and or format the new HD to get Win XP Pro to load...hope this helps to clear things up a bit.

Is there a program available to make a bootable CD to partition/format the new HD?

thanks

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
In XP any version earlier then SP1 need to be less then 124gb to install so if you can verify if your restoration cd is SP1 and up then the problem is elsewhere.

I have just read that on most newer Hitachi Hard Drives you have to set a jumper to tell it to work in SATA1 (1.5gb) transfer rate instead of the Default SATA2 (3gb)rate. Maybe your Lenovo does not support the 3gb rate.

Look on the drive for the Jumper configuration and try it like that.

Let us know

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Even though you have the boot order to be cd/dvd 1st, it sounds like its not finding the dvd drive.
Do you get any questions to the effect of "to boot from cd hit any key"?

On the boot up screen where it loads the bios is there anything being displayed where it recognises a dvd or hard drive?

Does the bios recognise the drives?
During boot hit del (or the key that it wants) to get to the bios.

katheryn65

katheryn65

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

In XP any version earlier then SP1 need to be less then 124gb to install so if you can verify if your restoration cd is SP1 and up then the problem is elsewhere.

I have just read that on most newer Hitachi Hard Drives you have to set a jumper to tell it to work in SATA1 (1.5gb) transfer rate instead of the Default SATA2 (3gb)rate. Maybe your Lenovo does not support the 3gb rate.

Look on the drive for the Jumper configuration and try it like that.

Let us know

Hi,

I believe when i made the recovery CD's through the thinkpads system, it was SP1.

As for the jumper, this is a laptop, no jumpers on the connection, the HD is being recognized in the bios, but saying no valid OS for both the HD and the CD drive

katheryn65

katheryn65

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts

Even though you have the boot order to be cd/dvd 1st, it sounds like its not finding the dvd drive.
Do you get any questions to the effect of "to boot from cd hit any key"?

On the boot up screen where it loads the bios is there anything being displayed where it recognises a dvd or hard drive?

Does the bios recognise the drives?
During boot hit del (or the key that it wants) to get to the bios.

Hi,

The DVD/CD drive is being recognized in the bios, nothing comes up with to boot from CD hit any key. After setting the DVD/CD drive to boot first, it is showing that it is booting from the DVD/CD Drive first and the new HD second, but both say No Vailid OS found.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I would have to say then that the recovery cd's are not bootable (not made properly).
Because if the bios can not find anything bootable on the dvd drive it will then look at the hdd (hard drive) for a OS and of course there isn't anything there.