Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

problems using any kind of scanning program

• Please log in to reply

lauraharley

lauraharley

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
hi,

i posted this before but didnt get much of a reply. it seems to be a temperamental problem but now its back with avengance.

Every time i use any form of program which scans my hdd my laptop just powers down, no warning nothing just turns off. When i turn it back on (manually) it doesnt even recognise that it has shut down unexpectedly.

This happens with spybot, adaware, disk cleanup and any kind of virus removal program including ewido, norton, mcafee and housecall.

the pc is running great but obviously i like to keep on top of my spyware and adware numbers and dont want to live a life of ignorance.

the only thing i can do which seems to help is use cleanup! which will then allow me to use disk cleanup without crashing and a smart system scan in adaware, however the crashing thing still happens on a full system scan in adaware and just a normal spybot scan.

This is sooooo annoying if anyone could help that'd be great as im thinking of formatting just to see if it helps.

I was recently on here sorting out my malware with the help of some great guys on here but now i fear something may be back and is a huuuge pain.

Please help!

Laura :tazz: xxx

Advertisements

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
In case anyone is wondering what is referred to as "didn't get much of a reply"

http://www.geekstogo...t22475-s45.html

Insanitystreak

Insanitystreak

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Maybe you could retry the steps

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
I suspect the problem may involve running two AV's at the same time.

Regards,

lauraharley

lauraharley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
hiya no your replies were amazing and fixed all malware problems great - ive been talking up you guys praises lol, no i posted this specific problem with the turning off of the pc a while ago (about a week ago i think ??) but i suspect i posted in the wrong place.

i only have norton 2002 running here so i dont think its conflicting programs. any other ideas? sorry if i offended, i didnt mean the malware thread - that was great!

thanks,

laura xxx

lauraharley

lauraharley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
the post im referring to is this one:

http://www.geekstogo...se_-t26449.html

although as i say its temperamental and worked that one time and never again :tazz:

laura xxx

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
In that case I apologize. :tazz:

I never saw that thread.

Have you tried running the scans in safe mode?

Since there will be less interference that might help.

Regards,

lauraharley

lauraharley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
hiya tried in safe mode but its still not working :tazz: keeps crashing like a bad boy lol with no warning. any logs i can give you to diagnose? thanks xxx

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
You can check in Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Event Viewer > Logs and see if you can find any errors/warning coinciding with the time the crash occurred.
That might give us a clue.

Regards,

lauraharley

lauraharley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
hmm only thing i can see is the following:

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( CeEPwrSvc ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event: Service started.

also spybot seemed to get a little further, like 75% done this time before crashing, however it did indeed still die on me :tazz:

thanks xxx

Advertisements

lauraharley

lauraharley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
i just ran it again it got to gainGator about 75% across then crashed dont know if this is any use to you? thanks, Laura xxx

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
CeEPwrSvc is a Toshiba/COMPAL ELECTRONIC INC. file

Do you have a CD for that computer with the drivers?
Or maybe they are on the HD somewhere.

Regards,

lauraharley

lauraharley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
yup i have the cd around, should i run it?

xxx

Metallica

Metallica

Spyware Veteran

• GeekU Moderator
  • 33,101 posts
Yes. But be carefull to read everything carefully it prompts you about. Sometimes these things are only to be used to do a complete re-install and that is not what we want.

Regards,

lauraharley

lauraharley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
i have the driver cd (it is separate to my system restore cd) however there is a list of driver categories which i can install, e.g console, chipset driver etc. any ideas which one i should go for?

Here are my options:

Chipset Driver
Microsoft Updates
Display Driver
Sound Driver
Touch pad Driver
Network Driver
CardBus Driver
Modem Driver
V.92 Modem Driver
Wireless Network Driver
Atheros Client Utility
Infrared Driver
Power Management
E-Key Utility
Easy Button Utility
cPad/Touch pad On-Off Utility
Console
ConfigFree
Skins for Windows Media Player
User`s Manual
DVD Player
Drag'n Drop
Sun Java Runtime Environment
Screensaver
Wallpapers

i clicked on the console one but it asked me to confirm removal of the existing console and i wasnt sure so clicked cancel.

sorry to need you to hold my hand through this lol but i dont want to have to format and i dont want to mess my laptop up lol.

thanks,

laura xxx