Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can you suggest a game I might like?

• Please log in to reply

Tollerowner

Tollerowner

• PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Okay, I am an old fart. All the game I try are too complicated, a fact my children think is hilarious because they can just play them without even reading the instructions.

I am still playing "Masters of Orion", which is about 12 years old. I had to install "Virtual PC" with a copy of WXP just to get it to run.
It is a pretty crappy game, but I enjoy it, and can understand it.

So, I am looking for a better, more up to date game, that I can understand. Any suggestions?

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
If you are looking for a modern, easy-to-understand game, pretty much any first person shooter (like something from the Call of Duty series) would fit the bill. Just shoot at the baddies, not a lot of thinking involved.

However, if you are looking for a more recent game that is similar in gameplay to Masters of Orion, you might want to look into the Civilization series. Civilization IV is the most recent entry, while Civilization II and Alpha Centauri are older, but also very good. You might be more comfortable with those two to start.

Funnily enough, 4X games like Master of Orion are some of the most complex games out there, so if you can understand them, I'm surprised you're having a hard time understanding other genres.

Joafu

Joafu

• Pip
  • 2 posts
You can get Master of Orion I and II from Good Old Games for about six bucks, and it comes packaged with an emulator (DOSbox if I'm remembering correctly) so it runs right after install. If you haven't tried the second one, it's fantastic, and probably my favorite in the series. I still play it. GOG has a lot of old goodies that you might like actually- all cheap, all DRM-free (no disc or net connection required after you install, plus you can install on as many of your computers as you want).

The civilization series is also great, and you can find a free version called free civ (starts download) that is based on the first two in the series. III is probably my favorite, only because of the interface, but I probably play IV more, at least until V comes out next month. Civ III and IV can be had for less than $10 together if you purchase the vanilla versions off amazon.

Moving outside the 4x genre, if you want a fun, quirky little game, World of Goo might be up your alley; everyone I've shown this to has loved it, including my parents. Osmos is also a good time. Both were DRM-free when I purchased, though that was a few months ago (I'm big on that aspect in a game). I've included links to the demos, the full version is identical in gameplay, just with more levels to enjoy.

Good luck searching, I hope you find something you like!

W-Unit

W-Unit

• PipPipPip
  • 170 posts
Counter-Strike maybe?
It's cheap and just about the most straightforward shooter out there. Not like Crysis or anything where you have all kinds of controls and options; you just get one rifle, one pistol, maybe some grenades, then try to click on people's heads :)
I like the good old 1.6 version, because at the time source was released (which was when I still played CS a lot), source was considered to be buggy and not as "skill-based." Maybe that's changed since then, though, or maybe you don't care :)

Asasdasasd

Asasdasasd

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
Kay...
well.. there is some games that are still my favourites even though my freinds says that they are worthless

Try nethergate:ressurections (I'm not sure how to spell that i think this is it) if you really like it and want the full verson and click register copy, and the pin number will come up, email me with the pin number and ill give you the code

Or Any games from the Red Alert series they are AMAZING!

Or as mentioned above Call of Duty/Soldier of fortue

And one that is my favourite series is Deus Ex Deus ex is about a world of biomods that can change every ones abilityes and also to me it'slike call of duty but better in alot of ways, since this is a multi million dollar company its very well laid out, the third game Deus Ex: human conflict is comming out 2011 it's worth a shot at getting if you want something that is more realistic, i would definally recomed it

My last point is that almost all games onsites like armorgames.com or kongregate.com welllast you for EVER litterally because games that you buy will become boring after a while but these sites have thousanads of games and there is more games every day, its alsoo worth a shot at

Kodos!

Rakc

Rakc

• Pip
  • 8 posts
You could try Counter-Strike. There's the Counter-Strike 1.6 and Counter-Strike: Source.

You need to buy a Steam account for it, though. It only costs about $10 and it's a pretty simple and straightforward FPS.
Myself and a lot of my friends/family play it and have enjoyed the experiences.

Seltox

Seltox

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
Good ol' dungeon crawl hack n slash adventure games are generally pretty easy to pick up and play, and from that area, i'd have to suggest Torchlight. Modern game, won a lot of awards, but it's old fashioned gameplay without standard 'modern' graphics.