Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

Dirty Berty

Dirty Berty

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have a customer who I have provided an external USB harddrive for so they can back up data (not the best solution, but cheap and effective)

I initially installed the drive about three days ago and it all worked fine after reactivating it in computer management.

The computer has been left on for the last three days so they have been able to 'see' the extra drive.

They have now started to switch the machine off at night and whenever they switch it back on they have to through computer management and reactivate the drive.

Is there anyway to avoid this as they are technophobes and are frightened that they will do it wrong. It is also worryingly close to the menu Item to reformat the drive.

Thanks

Rob

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Don't use Win XP, but possibly they need to turn the external drive on (plugged into USP port of course) before they turn PC on for boot up.

Hope this helps.

Ron