Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

POST Code help

• Please log in to reply

OneCool

OneCool

banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
Just a quick question.. are you using a STOCK AMD CPU cooler that came with the CPU?

Reason I ask is I had a KV8pro that I tried to use a stock cooler on it and the tension bracket was so tight it actually warp the motherboard and kept the memory from seating properly.

You can test this yourself by laying the computer on its side,pop the door off and just release the tension clip from the cooler.

With everything still connected and the cooler laying on the cpu hit the power button and see if it will boot.
If it does boot/post .DONT PICK IT UP AND PUT IT ON ITS SIDE>>>THE COOLER WILL FALL OFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If thats the problem I would order a new cooler with a metal backplate so it doesnt warp the board when tightened down.

Good luck and post back :tazz:

Advertisements

toppsoft

toppsoft

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm having the exact same problem with a Gigabyte GA-K8VM800M mobo. System was running fine and after a routine reboot, it hung at the exact same point. This mobo also has the Award BIOS.

I had two identical systems, so I move the drives over to the other system (after testing the RAM by swapping it around) and it booted fine in the other tower. 30 minutes later, another routine reboot and the second mobo was dead.

I now have the drives slaved on another system and am running a full virus scan. I suspect a CMOS chomping virus, but haven't found it yet. I'll post again if I do.

I can't think of anything else that would chew up the motherboard like this. Any other ideas?

Bill Shaw
www.toppsoft.com

SimonF

SimonF

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Interesting reply from Bill, my mobo is an ex demo one so who knows....

I have now checked memory out and all is Ok - so the mobo is going back today for a replacement.

Simon

ninertexanfan

ninertexanfan

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Ok this sounds just like my problem. I just bought A chaintech ct-7njL6 it uses the Phoenix-Award Bios. I had two new hard drives and tried installing xp on both of them they kept getting hung up and eventually would say it was shutting down to protect my computer. I then pulled the H.D I am working on now and it would say the xp was unable to start. I can enter the bios. The memory sticks of which I have two 256mb both seem to register and test fine during the startup it also shows my processor. I have moved the sticks around and have even tried using just one. It will not let xp start I get code post 52 it is not the keyboard, mouse, video card, monitor, hard drive cable or dvd burner as I have exchanged these all. It is not the Hard drive because as you can see it works fine. I may be stuck because I already mailed in the rebates and killed the boxes on the motherboard and cpu any idea what to do? I bought them both from tigerdirect and they were new.