Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can I access web history in firefox even if it has been deleted?

• Please log in to reply

farahm2

farahm2

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
Hey there folks, haven't been here in a while. Okay so here is my situation. I have reason to believe that whenever my younger sister invites friends over and they go up into her room, they visit sites that I would not want/allow them to visit. I have my suspicions, but nothing is for sure. I sat her down once and had a talk with her, but obviously she denied it, and at the time I believed she was telling the truth so I let it go. But now, I am starting to feel like it's happening again, but I just want to be sure before anything else. My sister is fairly experienced with firefox and knows the basic menus and whatnot. I tried searching her history but it seems that every now and then she deletes everything that she does from the history menu every time she finishes using the computer. She will leave all the other history there, but most of the time she deletes every page she visited from the time she gets on to the time she gets off. I checked the tools menu and it's set to keep all of the browsing history. I was wondering if there was any way I could have the history logged or something to another folder on the computer. Do you think there is anything like that out there? Something that will note the page visited and the time the page was accessed. I do not want to go an install a web filter just yet, because if I am wrong about all of this, then it was just show my sister that I don't trust her at all, and trust is a big thing in my family. But of course if she is indeed visiting these sites, then I might just take the computer away all together. But yeah, is there any way of me knowing what sites were visited and when they were visited, even if she actually deleted the history?

Something interesting happened the last time I was using firefox on that computer. I clicked on the address bar to search google for something because firefox on that computer can search various search engines through the address bar. But anyway, I was searching something, and I guess that one feature was enabled where you can search your browsing history through the address bar, and as I was typing, I noticed something that had the word "sexy" in it. it only turned out to be some music video or something, but I went to the history library by clicking control+shift+h but it wasnt there?! meaning it was deleted from that menu but still showed up in address bar. Anyone know why that happened?

And one last thing, how come when ever I go to that history library menu, (cntrl+shift+H), on the left side sometimes it will show the history separated by what day it was visited, but other times it was just have all the history for the past month in one category? Its kind of weird.

So there you go, that is my little situation. Sorry if I sound like I'm invading the privacy of my sister, but the fact is that those types of websites are strictly not allowed in this household. I never visited those kinds of sites when I was a kid, and both my parents and I would never want my younger sibling visiting those kinds of websites. And also, sorry for this being such a long post, I just wanted you guys to know the full situation here.

Thanks for any help in advance! Please let me know if you need any further help understanding my situation or if you have any questions.
Thank you.

Edited by farahm2, 08 August 2010 - 10:24 PM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
In theory, yes. Simple data recovery techniques.
That being said, I don't quite follow what it has to do with you what your sister does on a computer. If she's a minor, yes I'd probably see the concern, but if she's an adult, then as far as I'm concerned I don't see what it has to do with you.

farahm2

farahm2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

In theory, yes. Simple data recovery techniques.
That being said, I don't quite follow what it has to do with you what your sister does on a computer. If she's a minor, yes I'd probably see the concern, but if she's an adult, then as far as I'm concerned I don't see what it has to do with you.

Hey, sorry for the late reply. I've been busy with work and all that stuff.

But yes you are right, she is a minor and that is why I am trying to make sure she isn't visiting any web pages she should be visiting. What are these simple data recovery techniques you talk about?

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Check out Recuva