Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Google/Yahoo Redirect Virus

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

paltan

paltan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

The script I had you run was suppose to remove that setting, so it reset back to MSN.

Redirects still happening?

Oh, ok. Yes I just checked and it's still redirecting.

Advertisements

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
Please provide me with the url of a site you are being redirected to.. As well as what you were trying to search or visit, before being redirected.

paltan

paltan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Please provide me with the url of a site you are being redirected to.. As well as what you were trying to search or visit, before being redirected.

From Yahoo in the search box I type "computers". I click on the first choice which is "en.wikipedia.org/wiki/computer". The next choice is "www.tigerdirect.com". And so on.......Anything on any page that I search and click, redirects.

I noticed the redirect about two weeks ago when I did a search for "Sam Farha poker player" and clicked on the Wiki entry. This may not have been the first redirect, it's just the one that I remember.

Edited by paltan, 17 August 2010 - 11:55 AM.

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
I've gone ahead and hidden the post that contains the URL that you posted. I'm not really sure what is going on with these redirects you are experiencing. I'd like for you to try resetting your router again. Please ensure you set a different password then what was previously used.

Router Reset
  • Please read this: Malware Silently Alters Wireless Router Settings

• Consult this link to find out what is the default username and password of your router and note down them: Route Passwords

• Then rest your router to it's factory default settings:

"If your machine has been infected by one of these Zlob/DNSchanger Trojans, and your router settings have been altered, I would strongly recommend that you reset the router to its default configuration. Usually, this can be done by inserting something tiny like a paper clip end or pencil tip into a small hole labeled "reset" located on the back of the router. Press and hold down the small button inside until the lights on the front of the router blink off and then on again (usually about 10 seconds)"

• This is the difficult part.
    First get to the routers server. To do that type http:\\192.168.1.1 in the address bar and click Enter. You get the log in window.
    Fill in the password you have already found and you will get the configuration page.
    Configure the router to allow you to connect to your ISP server. In some routers it is done by a setup wizard. But you have to fill in the log in password your ISP has initially given to you.
    You can also call your ISP if you don't have your initial password.
    Don't forget to change the routers default password and set a strong password. Note down the password and keep it somewhere for future reference.

• Please make sure of the following settings:
  • Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Double click on Network Connections.
  • Right click on your default connection (usually Local Area Connection or Wireless Network Connection) and select Properties.
  • Select the General tab.
  • Double click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).
  • Under General tab:
  • Select "Obtain an IP address automatically".
  • Select "Obtain DNS server address automatically".

[*]Click OK twice to save the settings.
[*]Reboot if you had to change any setting.[/list][/list]

NEXT:

Flush the DNS cache
  • Click the Start logo in the bottom left corner of the screen
  • Click on Run
  • In the command window copy/paste the following
ipconfig /flushdns
  • then hit enter
  • Exit the command window.

After that, Reboot

paltan

paltan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

I've gone ahead and hidden the post that contains the URL that you posted. I'm not really sure what is going on with these redirects you are experiencing. I'd like for you to try resetting your router again. Please ensure you set a different password then what was previously used.

Router Reset

• Please read this: Malware Silently Alters Wireless Router Settings

• Consult this link to find out what is the default username and password of your router and note down them: Route Passwords

• Then rest your router to it's factory default settings:

"If your machine has been infected by one of these Zlob/DNSchanger Trojans, and your router settings have been altered, I would strongly recommend that you reset the router to its default configuration. Usually, this can be done by inserting something tiny like a paper clip end or pencil tip into a small hole labeled "reset" located on the back of the router. Press and hold down the small button inside until the lights on the front of the router blink off and then on again (usually about 10 seconds)"

• This is the difficult part.
    First get to the routers server. To do that type http:\\192.168.1.1 in the address bar and click Enter. You get the log in window.
    Fill in the password you have already found and you will get the configuration page.
    Configure the router to allow you to connect to your ISP server. In some routers it is done by a setup wizard. But you have to fill in the log in password your ISP has initially given to you.
    You can also call your ISP if you don't have your initial password.
    Don't forget to change the routers default password and set a strong password. Note down the password and keep it somewhere for future reference.

• Please make sure of the following settings:
  • Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Double click on Network Connections.
  • Right click on your default connection (usually Local Area Connection or Wireless Network Connection) and select Properties.
  • Select the General tab.
  • Double click on Internet Protocol (TCP/IP).
  • Under General tab:
  • Select "Obtain an IP address automatically".
  • Select "Obtain DNS server address automatically".

[*]Click OK twice to save the settings.
[*]Reboot if you had to change any setting.[/list][/list]

NEXT:

Flush the DNS cache
  • Click the Start logo in the bottom left corner of the screen
  • Click on Run
  • In the command window copy/paste the following
ipconfig /flushdns
  • then hit enter
  • Exit the command window.

After that, Reboot

Ok I reset the modem and it still redirects. I'm gonna just light a match to this [bleep] computer.

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
Do you have your Windows disc?

paltan

paltan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

Do you have your Windows disc?

No I don't...Figures. :)

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
I know your not going to want to hear this, but I feel that your best option at this point is to perform a reformat and reinstall. I've had you run through a multitude of scans to see if we could pinpoint where this is coming from, but I have absolutely no idea where this is coming from. I've also had a few of my colleagues take a look through here, and they are also puzzled by this.

A reformat and reinstall will ensure that you are starting with a fresh system. You may need to borrow a disc from a friend who has the same edition as you or may need to bring it into a local repair shop and have them perform the reformat and reinstall.

We have a Reformat and Re-installation guide here at G2G that can be located here: http://www.geekstogo...ws-t173729.html

Cheers,
SweetTech.

paltan

paltan

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 50 posts

I know your not going to want to hear this, but I feel that your best option at this point is to perform a reformat and reinstall. I've had you run through a multitude of scans to see if we could pinpoint where this is coming from, but I have absolutely no idea where this is coming from. I've also had a few of my colleagues take a look through here, and they are also puzzled by this.

A reformat and reinstall will ensure that you are starting with a fresh system. You may need to borrow a disc from a friend who has the same edition as you or may need to bring it into a local repair shop and have them perform the reformat and reinstall.

We have a Reformat and Re-installation guide here at G2G that can be located here: http://www.geekstogo...ws-t173729.html

Cheers,
SweetTech.

Thanks so much for all your help. Hopefuly I won't need Geeks to Go again, but I will certainly tell everyone I know how awesome you are! Thanks again

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
Your welcome

Advertisements

SweetTech

SweetTech

Sir SpamAlot

• Retired Staff
  • 7,671 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.