Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help tell me which to uninstall and which to keep?

• Please log in to reply

Alias775

Alias775

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi Everyonoe! Yesterday I downloaded Windows Website Designer. It took 2 hours to download and install.

I HATE THE PROGRAM and uninstalled most of it. But I still see my free memory is down and I have extra Microsoft programs that I don't need. I don't know one from the other. I don't know what to uninstall and what to keep.

I've carefully copied what each one says for you:

Microsoft.net Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2
Microsoft.net Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2
Microsoft.net Framework 3.5 SP 1
Microsoft.net Compression Client Pack 1.0 for Windows XP
Microsoft User-Mode Driver Framework Feature Pack 1.0

And (please) while you're at it. Tell me if I just need both or just one of the following:

Windows Media Format 11 Runtime
Windows Media Player 11

I love you guys! Thanks for any info you can give me!

Alias775 :)

Advertisements

ohsnap

ohsnap

• PipPip
  • 63 posts
If you're using WMP, you need both (Runtime and Player), I believe. I have those 2 installed as well.

I also have a lot of Framework, but I believe they're pretty much essential.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
http://social.msdn.m...ab-02215146073a

See this link and as ohsnap has said, these and WMP (Runtime and Player) are necessary and use hardly any resources.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
You can uninstall windows media player 11 but the result will be that WMP will be rolled back to an older version, the one that was originally bundled in your XP installation. No point removing it.

Regarding .net framework: I am not an expert on the subject. There are applications which need .net framework to run. I think that you can remove version 2 and 3 but leave 3.5. Regarding the last two files, I don't know what they do (some say they are related to WMP 11) so I would not touch them.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
The different versions of .Net aren't really "upgrades". Some programs that work on .Net version 1.1 or 2.0 won't run on 3.0. There's nothing preventing you from uninstalling them of course, but, some of your programs that depend on 1.1 or 2.0 may not work properly.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Thanks for your input, SpywareDr.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
No problem. :)