Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

no sound

• Please log in to reply

RaSHDaN

RaSHDaN

• Pip
  • 9 posts
hello,
my computer stopped making and sounds, and it has problem with the RtkHDAud.sys driver, i tried uninstalling and installing and updating , i tried updating with 4 virsions but when ever the installing or updating finishes i get a rundll error
" the procedure entry point_except_handler4_common could not be located in the dynamic link library msvcrt.dd." and when i click ok i get "error loading streamci the specified procedure could not be found"

when i open directX this message apear "Error: problem getting extra sound info, result code= 0x80070057 (invalid argument(s))
and when i open the sound tab and click test i get "DirectSound test results: Failure at step 3 (DirectSoundCreate): HRESULT = 0x80070057 (Invalid argument(s))"

however , when i open music tab, and test with " microsoft synthesizer" i cant play, but if i used " microsoft MIDI mapper [emulated] or microsoft GS wavetabke SW synth [imulated] " i hear the music
i checked with BIOS and disabled the sound and enable it, but nothing happen

here is the DxDiag info (short)
------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 8/10/2010, 13:42:25
Machine name: OMAR
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.100216-1514)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: INTEL_
System Model: D945GCR_
BIOS: Default System BIOS
Processor: Genuine Intel® CPU 2160 @ 1.80GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 1014MB RAM
Page File: 473MB used, 1961MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: None
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode

------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
DirectX Files Tab: No problems found.
Display Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 1: No problems found.
Sound Tab 2: DirectSound test results: Failure at step 3 (DirectSoundCreate): HRESULT = 0x80070057 (Invalid argument(s))
Music Tab: DirectMusic test results: Failure at step 6 (Activating the IDirectMusicPort): HRESULT = 0x80070057 (Invalid argument(s))
Input Tab: No problems found.
Network Tab: No problems found.

--------------------
DirectX Debug Levels
--------------------
Direct3D: 0/4 (n/a)
DirectDraw: 0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (n/a)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (n/a)
DirectPlay: 0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow: 0/6 (retail)

-------------
Sound Devices
-------------
Description: Realtek HD Audio output
Default Sound Playback: Yes
Default Voice Playback: No
Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0888&SUBSYS_8086D606&REV_1000
Manufacturer ID: 1
Product ID: 2
Type: WDM
Driver Name: RtkHDAud.sys
Driver Version: 5.10.0000.6106 (English)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
WHQL Logo'd: n/a
Date and Size: 5/7/2010 18:54:42, 6037536 bytes
Other Files:
Driver Provider: Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
HW Accel Level: Full
Cap Flags: 0x0
Min/Max Sample Rate: 0, 0
Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 0, 0
Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0
HW Memory: 0
Voice Management: No
EAX™ 2.0 Listen/Src: No, No
I3DL2™ Listen/Src: No, No
Sensaura™ ZoomFX™: No
Registry: OK
Sound Test Result: Not run

Description: Realtek HD Audio 2nd output
Default Sound Playback: No
Default Voice Playback: No
Hardware ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0888&SUBSYS_8086D606&REV_1000
Manufacturer ID: 1
Product ID: 2
Type: WDM
Driver Name: RtkHDAud.sys
Driver Version: 5.10.0000.6106 (English)
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
WHQL Logo'd: n/a
Date and Size: 5/7/2010 18:54:42, 6037536 bytes
Other Files:
Driver Provider: Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
HW Accel Level: Full
Cap Flags: 0x0
Min/Max Sample Rate: 0, 0
Static/Strm HW Mix Bufs: 0, 0
Static/Strm HW 3D Bufs: 0, 0
HW Memory: 0
Voice Management: No
EAX™ 2.0 Listen/Src: No, No
I3DL2™ Listen/Src: No, No
Sensaura™ ZoomFX™: No
Sound Test Result: Failure at step 3 (DirectSoundCreate): HRESULT = 0x80070057 (Invalid argument(s))

-----------
DirectMusic
-----------
DLS Path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\drivers\GM.DLS
DLS Version: 1.00.0016.0002
Acceleration: n/a
Ports: Microsoft Synthesizer, Software (Not Kernel Mode), Output, DLS, Internal, Default Port
Microsoft MIDI Mapper [Emulated], Hardware (Not Kernel Mode), Output, No DLS, Internal
Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth [Emulated], Hardware (Not Kernel Mode), Output, No DLS, Internal
Test Result: Failure at step 6 (Activating the IDirectMusicPort): HRESULT = 0x80070057 (Invalid argument(s))

hope thats all the info you will need, any other info needed tell me how to get it and i will post, thanks alot for all who will try to help.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi RaSHDaN :) sorry to hear you are having issues with your sound.
You have already done the 1st couple of things I would have suggested, so
what I would suggest now is download the drivers from the link below and
save them to your desktop/screen for use later, then uninstall any software
associated with the device and then uninstall the device itself, shutdown
and then restart your computer, when windows detects new hardware install
the drivers you have downloaded, all should be well.
http://downloadcente...aNoard D945GCCR
If you require further assistance I will be happy to help.

RaSHDaN

RaSHDaN

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
downloading, hope that will work :)

RaSHDaN

RaSHDaN

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Hi RaSHDaN :) sorry to hear you are having issues with your sound.
You have already done the 1st couple of things I would have suggested, so
what I would suggest now is download the drivers from the link below and
save them to your desktop/screen for use later, then uninstall any software
associated with the device and then uninstall the device itself, shutdown
and then restart your computer, when windows detects new hardware install
the drivers you have downloaded, all should be well.
http://downloadcente...aNoard D945GCCR
If you require further assistance I will be happy to help.

ok i did every thing you asked,and no rundll errors appeared when installing, but sound didn't work, and now i my computer needs another driver that is for "PCI device" in system devices -which i was asked for after installing the driver you gave me and restarting- but now my system can't find the necessary driver :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Is this the audio driver that you installed previously http://download.cnet...4-10238712.html
If the one above does not work remove it and then get Intels recommended driver from here http://downloadcente...om/Default.aspx
BTW the drivers I recommended that you installed previously were Intels but they seem to provide them on various sites :)

Edited by phillpower2, 11 August 2010 - 03:00 AM.

RaSHDaN

RaSHDaN

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Is this the audio driver that you installed previously http://download.cnet...4-10238712.html
If the one above does not work remove it and then get Intels recommended driver from here http://downloadcente...om/Default.aspx
BTW the drivers I recommended that you installed previously were Intels but they seem to provide them on various sites :)

still no sound and still a problem with pci device, and now device mgr doesn't show the sound driver :s this made it worse

Edited by RaSHDaN, 11 August 2010 - 06:51 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
This looks like the drivers are conflicting with the device.
Have you tried uninstalling the device & drivers, shutting down & rebooting, let windows detect new hardware & search for the drivers itself including online, it seems like none of the supported drivers for download are working for some reason, possibly the onboard sound is chip failing and it is time for an add on card such as a sound blaster.
Looking on the net it seems your sound issue is a common occurence & below is one of the suggested fixes I found should the above not work;
On the desktop, right-click on "My Computer".
Click on "Manage".
Click on "Services & Applications".
This brings up a list headed "Services".
Scroll down to "Windows Audio".
Double-click on it, then on "Recovery" tab.
This brings up three windows for what Windows should do in the event of failure: on the first occasion, on the second occasion and on subsequent occasions.
The options are "Take no action" and "Restart the service".
I found them all set to "Take no action", and reset them all to "Restart the service".
Windows then tried to restart the service, succeeded in doing so and I had my Audio Device back.

Edit: In addition to the above you could go into the BIOS and try restoring the default settings.

Edited by phillpower2, 11 August 2010 - 07:49 AM.

RaSHDaN

RaSHDaN

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

This looks like the drivers are conflicting with the device.
Have you tried uninstalling the device & drivers, shutting down & rebooting, let windows detect new hardware & search for the drivers itself including online, it seems like none of the supported drivers for download are working for some reason, possibly the onboard sound is chip failing and it is time for an add on card such as a sound blaster.
Looking on the net it seems your sound issue is a common occurence & below is one of the suggested fixes I found should the above not work;
On the desktop, right-click on "My Computer".
Click on "Manage".
Click on "Services & Applications".
This brings up a list headed "Services".
Scroll down to "Windows Audio".
Double-click on it, then on "Recovery" tab.
This brings up three windows for what Windows should do in the event of failure: on the first occasion, on the second occasion and on subsequent occasions.
The options are "Take no action" and "Restart the service".
I found them all set to "Take no action", and reset them all to "Restart the service".
Windows then tried to restart the service, succeeded in doing so and I had my Audio Device back.

Edit: In addition to the above you could go into the BIOS and try restoring the default settings.

did the recovery but no attempts to restart the service were made, i checked with bios and everything is in default, anyway i have been googling this for more than a week now, and there is alot of people with same problem that i have, but none of the solutions worked with me , as most of them needed to delete a file or a registry path that i already don't have :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
I can now only think of resetting the CMOS or doing a repair installation of XP.
I will keep looking for another answer but if the correct drivers do not work it
can only be the sound chip or a windows conflict.
Try downloading & running this http://download.cnet...4-10556571.html
Click on Tools & then Analysis & Advice, you can produce a report to your desktop
which highlights problems & makes recommendations to fix them.
You can just uninstall it when finished & I hope it sorts things out.

RaSHDaN

RaSHDaN

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I can now only think of resetting the CMOS or doing a repair installation of XP.
I will keep looking for another answer but if the correct drivers do not work it
can only be the sound chip or a windows conflict.
Try downloading & running this http://download.cnet...4-10556571.html
Click on Tools & then Analysis & Advice, you can produce a report to your desktop
which highlights problems & makes recommendations to fix them.
You can just uninstall it when finished & I hope it sorts things out.

i downloaded it and run, it didn't even had any info about sound devices

Edited by RaSHDaN, 11 August 2010 - 01:35 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Did you check Services/Drivers, Media & DirectX this is what sound devices are under.
After the software has done the diagnostics if you dbl click on the tip icons they
open up & give you more info.

Edit: Have you tried this http://www.windows-s...ID=336307397013

Edited by phillpower2, 11 August 2010 - 02:22 PM.

RaSHDaN

RaSHDaN

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Did you check Services/Drivers, Media & DirectX this is what sound devices are under.
After the software has done the diagnostics if you dbl click on the tip icons they
open up & give you more info.

Edit: Have you tried this http://www.windows-s...ID=336307397013

there was no sound tab, but at directX tab, it gave me the same message in directX ,
i downloaded drivercure, but no sound driver was there, but some other system drivers, but its not free to download , and i dont want to spend 30$ on a license that i don't need, duno whats wrong with my computer

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
I was thinking more of just getting a scan of your system to see what sound drivers it said you needed
and if they were different than the intel ones, then finding them free on the net, you would be able to
purchase an add on sound card for less than half of $30 so that was never an option.
This has got me beat at the moment, I may be wrong but I think the sound chip is bad and that the only
option is an add on sound card but I will keep searching.
There is still the repair installation of XP option if you have the CD or resetting the CMOS by removing
the MB battery for a time.

RaSHDaN

RaSHDaN

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I was thinking more of just getting a scan of your system to see what sound drivers it said you needed
and if they were different than the intel ones, then finding them free on the net, you would be able to
purchase an add on sound card for less than half of $30 so that was never an option.
This has got me beat at the moment, I may be wrong but I think the sound chip is bad and that the only
option is an add on sound card but I will keep searching.
There is still the repair installation of XP option if you have the CD or resetting the CMOS by removing
the MB battery for a time.

ok thanks alot for your help, much appreciated :), i think i'll go buy new sound card, or even get a new one