Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

repeating boot sequence

• Please log in to reply

shanekahrs

shanekahrs

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I do not have the specs on this computer that i am trying to get working. The operating system is XP. the logo screen appears for a few seconds, then black screen. I am then prompted to select the operating system. it gives me the options of XP or Umbutu. I select XP, then options of Starting windows in safe mode, safe mode with networking, safe mode with command prompt,last known good configuration or to start windows normally. i select normally then black screen, a quick glimpse of the screen with the "energy efficient" logo then it goes right back th the screen asking me wich operating system that im using. this is so frustrating, maybe there is a simple fix ?

Advertisements

C1B3R5NYP3R

C1B3R5NYP3R

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I would start with downloading memtest86+ burn it to disc and run it at startup. This will test your ram.

http://www.memtest86.com/

shanekahrs

shanekahrs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
K, I tried that, but its not reading the disc. I power the PC off, when I turn it back on the same screen pops up INSTANTLY.

Now the PC is stuck on one screen. it reads :

Main processor: AMD Sempron™ 1333MHz
Memory Testing: 360448k ok + 32M shared memory

Detecting IDE drives...

shanekahrs

shanekahrs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
This computer is stuck on a screen and it wont continue to boot up. none of the function buttons have any effect, and when i power it off it goes directly to this same screen as soon as it powers up

C1B3R5NYP3R

C1B3R5NYP3R

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
When you burn the disc did you make sure it was a bootable disc? You will need to use a program like magic iso to burn the disc. Here is a site that will give you all you need to know including the download.

http://www.magiciso.com/download.htm

shanekahrs

shanekahrs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

When you burn the disc did you make sure it was a bootable disc? You will need to use a program like magic iso to burn the disc. Here is a site that will give you all you need to know including the download.

http://www.magiciso.com/download.htm

shanekahrs

shanekahrs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks for taking the time to help out, any help is appreciated. Im just trying to learn, and get some info off this hard drive. I will give magic ISO a try if i can get this thing back on. After reading some forum comments, i replaced the battery. I was able to get into the BIOS, but I dont know what Im doing in there. So, I read on and looks like maybe I need to unplug/plug-in the hdd jumper to reset the CMOS ?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
To reset the BIOS you have to disconnect the power cable from the power supply unit and then take the battery out for 10 minutes. Reinstall and reboot. Upon reboot you will get a message about some changes made or checksome error, and an option to enter BIOS. Enter BIOS, reset time and date and make your CD drive first priority boot device.

C1B3R5NYP3R

C1B3R5NYP3R

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Well the first thing I would do is make sure all the hardware is working properly. Do you have anything connected to your pc other than mouse and keyboard? I know an ipod will cause this same problem. Try starting it up with the bare essentials. If you have more than one memory module then try removing them, leaving only one in the system. Also, if you have integrated video, use it instead of a graphics card.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Your BIOS must be reset as a first step. There is no point in checking hardware problems before making sure that the BIOS run properly.

Advertisements

shanekahrs

shanekahrs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
ugh... Now im having trouble getting it to power up. I must have some wires crossed. The ones that Im having trouble with go to power sw,ground, HDD LED, and power LED. The tag on them says display cables, Im not sure how to tell if they are plugged into the right pins. Ill keep trying. i also disconnected the old floppy drive, thats ok isnt it ?

shanekahrs

shanekahrs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks, I was down to the bare essentials. Now im just working on getting this these cables hooked back up properly and get it to power back on.

shanekahrs

shanekahrs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks for your input. I will let you know when i get into the BIOS. Now im just working on getting this these cables hooked back up properly and get it to power back on

shanekahrs

shanekahrs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
now i cant even get it to power up, no power to fans. i know its something so simple, I dont have much technical experience. Ill keep trying.

shanekahrs

shanekahrs

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Now ive done something to the hardware, I cant even get it to power up. BUMMER, I dont know what else to do, maybe take it to the VoTech school and see if they will help me ? got ant ideas ?