First of all some system info:
Windows XP Home 2002 SP2
Outlook 2002 SP3
I have successfully logged in to and used my email account at the new workplace. The problem is that Outlook repeatedly tries to contact the old Exchange Server from the old workplace. A dialog pops up with the message “Outlook is retrieving data from the Microsoft Exchange Server [server name] blah blah…” This can happen dozens of times during the course of a day. Its gone beyond being a mere annoyance, because while its waiting for connection to the old server I cannot do anything else in Outlook. Just composing a simple email turns into this lengthy process where I either need to sit there and wait for the dialog(s) to go away which can take (a minute) * (however many times this happens during the course of the given task), or I can go do something else for awhile, and accept the extra overhead from all the unnecessary context switching.
Things I have tried:
1) Deleting the email account in Control Panel -> Mail, and recreating it.
2) Searching for references of the old server in the registry. Found one and removed it. No change.
3) Grepping for refernces in Documents and Settings. Didn't find any, but haven't done an exhaustive search.
4) Googling for solutions to similar problems. Every solution I found involved being able to contact the old server. That is a total non-starter. I don't work for that company any more and I CANNOT and WILL NOT be able to contact the old Exchange Server.