Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Windows XP SP3 will only operate in Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I spilled a drink on my gateway tablet. Wine poured straight into the keyboard. Initially, the only function that appeared to not work was the touch pad. Upon restart the computer was non-responsive during start up showing the Windows XP logo and status bar. On restart via the power button the computer will start up if I select safe mode. While in safe mode everything seems to be working fine except the touch pad.

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Safemode does not use all of the touchpad capabilities. If you have a short in a part of the touchpad( scrolling?, etc)Then the regular windows startup see's the hardware as bad and so it does not boot. Replacing the touchpad may solve your problem.