Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems with additional HD

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
:)
It sounds like you are doing everything correctly :)
I would start over and format the drive again and do another fresh install. See if that resolves the problem.

Advertisements

Fireman4u

Fireman4u

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thanks I will do that, any idea why it didn't work the first time?

Fireman4u

Fireman4u

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Well I tried it again and keep getting the same message "Error Loading Operating System" after the computer reboots, any suggestions or thoughts on why this happened. thanks in advance!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Actually FYI I am working on a system here at home and ironically I'm getting the same message also. Still trying to decipher the problem but I think it has something to do with the partition of the drive.
I will see when I unpartition the drive and try again.

Fireman4u

Fireman4u

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
That is ironic! I'll be interested in hearing what you find out!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I finally got it to work. What I had to do was to make one partition on the driver.
Then install XP and get it completely set up.
Then I partitioned the drive making sure that there was plenty of room for the XP to operate correctly. Everything went together fast and worked great after that.

Edited by rshaffer61, 20 August 2010 - 07:00 AM.

Fireman4u

Fireman4u

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thanks for the update and I'm glad you got yours fixed! I eliminated one partition and reformatted the drive. I will try to install XP again and see what happens. I'll let you know how it works out!

Edited by Fireman4u, 20 August 2010 - 06:47 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You are welcome and let me know. We can always setup the second partition after you are up and running.

Fireman4u

Fireman4u

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi Rshaffer,

I did get the XP loaded on the drive and plugged everything back up. When I restarted the computer it automatically started up in Vista, I thought I would have a choice of which OS I could boot up with? Oh well that is another issue for another day. Okay on to making a partition, can I do it the same way you showed me before?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
How did it boot to Vista if all you have loaded is XP?

Advertisements

Fireman4u

Fireman4u

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
The hard drive that I installed the XP on is a new hard drive I just installed so the computer has two hard drives. The main drive has Vista on it. I disconnected the main drive when I installed XP on the second drive and when I finished setting up XP I plugged the main hard drive back in so both drives would be working. Does this help?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep that is one way to make a dual boot but is also the way you did it forces you to go into the bios and change the boot sequence to which hd you want to boot to now.
This is the only way to do the dual boot since you disconnected the Vista drive. I thought the OS's were on the same drive so I apologize for that.

Fireman4u

Fireman4u

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
No problem, it looks like your working with a lot of people to help with their problems so it is easy to get confused, well at least for me it would be....lol!
I went to the BIOS to set the boot sequence but the new hard drive wasn't showing up there. I then looked into the disk drives and it showed up there where it said first and second drive, something to that effect. When I set the new drive to 1st drive it would boot in the XP drive but the XP was the only thing showing on the drive no programs or anything. I would still like to partition the new drive to put data on a separate partition. Any suggestions as to why it didn't boot with the programs would be appreciated too.