Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

OOPS.....I took a fall &......

• Please log in to reply

blueskieswoman

blueskieswoman

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
a few years ago, I bought a Western Digital external drive to backup my photos & for my backups for my laptop. It's not very big compared to today's offerings but it contains a lot of my life. Also, any new programs, updates, etc. were sent there as my laptop doesn't have a lot of drive either.

In moving my laptop, the person doing the moving forgot there was an external drive attached. It fell about 2 feet to the floot & ever since makes a strange humming noise as though when something is turning it has a problem every other second or so....then the noise stops. However, when plugged in to the laptop with a USB cable, my computer does not recognize it. I've tried connecting it to the laptop & then turning it on - same thing.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! HELP????? There are photos on there that a precious to me. Guess I should have done something different....but what? So, now what do I do?

Thank you, in advance, for checking this out & trying to help me!

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
It may seem like "overkill" to some, but not to me -- I have two external hard drives, each containing exactly the same data. I only used to have one external drive until I dropped one and it was totally wrecked. That served as a valuable lesson to me and I've had two ever since.

There are various file-recovery programs on the net, but they are quite useless unless your PC is able to recognise that the drive is plugged in.
I fear that this drive and the data on it is lost forever.