Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Processor Compatible With Motherboard?

• Please log in to reply

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Hello:

My current motherboard is the Foxconn 590SLI and my processor is an AMD Athlon 64 X2 running at 2.6GHz. The motherboard is a socket AM2+ so, when I decided to upgrade my processor to get more speed from my rig, I started looking at the AM2+ chips. I found and purchased an AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition Deneb. This chip fit my motherboard (socket wise) and appealed to me because it ran at 3Ghz, was quad core, and could be overclocked. I was excited. When the chip came in, I installed it on the motherboard and found, when turning the system on for the first time, that the CPU fan wouldn't stop spinning out of control. I assumed I had installed the CPU Fan on backwards on the heatsink when I put the system back together so opened the case and found that wasn't the issue. I had, in fact, installed the CPU correctly. I updated the bios and still nothing. Finally I made a post here, about a week or two ago, and found out that the CPU, though socket AM2+ wasn't supported by my motherboard. Apparently, my Motherboard has the AM2+ socket but doesn't support the Phenom II chips.

Now, I've decided to purchase a new Motherboard so I can pull this chip from the closet.

At a vendor's site, I searched for motherboards that support the Phenom II X4 chips and it only shows a list of AM3 motherboards but my chip is an AM2+. I then looked at AM2+ motherboards and found the ASUS M4A77D. It supports AM3, AM2+, and AM2 socketed chips. When I look at the type of processors it supports though, it lists Sempron, Athlon, Phenom, Athlon II, and Phenom II. Does this mean it will support all Phenom II chips - including the X4's?

Before, I just always assumed that if the socket of the processor matched the socket of the MB, it would run but I suppose that isn't the case any more with these new AMDs. I'm seeing posts that processors are backwards compatable, but motherboards aren't. Wow, they're really making this complicated. Or...maybe I just need someone to explain it all to me.

So, will the AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition Deneb (AM2+) run on the ASUS M4A77D motherboard?

Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Magus

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The AMD Phenom II X4 940 processor is an AM2+ processor and the M4A77D is AM3 capable. Basically means you should be able to shove any AM2+ or AM3 processor in it and it'll work.

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Neil:

Thanks for the reply. You were right, the processor did work on that motherboard. I moved all into my case and it fired up first try. I've hit another snag, but not I'm at the mercy of Microsoft. Because I swapped motherboards, my OEM Vista thinks it's in a new computer! It's scheduled to die in three days. Microsoft, as big as they are, doesn't have anyone working late afternoons or weekends so I'm hoping my "non-geek" wife can give them a call and sort this out. If they are unwilling to change keys for me, I may stuff the old MB, processor, and RAM in a box with my restore CDs and use it on a new build.

Well, wish me luck and thanks again for the reply.

Later,

Magus

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This is normal behaviour.

Just phone up the activation number and follow the instructions. You will probably need to change the key from the current one to the one that's stuck on the side of the case.
98% of the time this is a totally automated system that is usually available 24/7/365. You shouldn't need to speak to anybody.