Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please Help - Performing Auto IDE Config Error

• Please log in to reply

JMitch

JMitch

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello,

I am posting here hoping someone will be able to help me with a problem that began with my Dell Precision 4600 (XP) computer yesterday. I've done some reading online, but so far nothing has fixed my problem. It began with a freezing of the computer. After restarting, I got the error message (B&W screen)that says Performing Automatic IDE Configuration. After hitting to continue the computer loaded Windows up and within a minute the screen went black. My monitor power button went from Green to Amber. The fan in the tower continued to run, but that was all. I restarted and would get the same thing happening over and over. I did some reading (not a computer expert at all) and found out about the indicator lights on the back. I checked those out and A, B, and C were green with D being yellow. Restarted again, this time going into setup menu and saw the date as Oct 8, 2003. Didn't change date, but recorded all other settings. Comp died again. I went out to Radio Shack and purchased a new battery for the motherboard. Followed Dell directions and changed the battery to a new one. Restarted computer went through setup and all settings were the same. Hit continue and Windows loaded. Checked the indicator lights on back and all were green. Thought all was well and less than 1 minute later the screen went black again. Waited 5 minutes and tried to restart and couldn't get very far before black screen of death.

If anyone can recommend my next steps towards fixing this I would greatly appreciate it. I am really hoping at the least I will be able to get back on long enough to transfer to another computer all of our pictures saved on the comp (if it is dying). Thanks in advance for any tips / suggestions for fixing this. Mentioned previously I am not very knowledgeable in computers so a step by step on how to fix would be very much appreciated.

Mitch

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
With a little research I found this page HERE
According to the leds this is what it says.

Other failure has occurred.

* Ensure that the cables are properly connected from the hard drive, CD drive, and DVD drive to the system board.
* If the problem persists, see "Contacting Dell" in your Owner's Manual for instructions on obtaining technical assistance.

It would seem you have a bad data cable or ribbon.

JMitch

JMitch

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

With a little research I found this page HERE
According to the leds this is what it says.

Other failure has occurred.

* Ensure that the cables are properly connected from the hard drive, CD drive, and DVD drive to the system board.
* If the problem persists, see "Contacting Dell" in your Owner's Manual for instructions on obtaining technical assistance.

It would seem you have a bad data cable or ribbon.

Rshaffer,

Thank you for the reply, but it seems that since all of my LED indicator lights are now green after changing the battery that it is unlikely not an issue of having a bad cable or ribbon. I am wondering if this is something that I can correct through the setup menu?

If anyone can help me I would be greatly appreciative.

Thanks,

Mitch

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Your best option is to enter the bios and click on Use default settings and see if that will return everything to factory settings for you.