Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do I transfer a external hard drive and do a backup

• Please log in to reply

levy1

levy1

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I bought a buffalo external hard drive for a backup a few years ago. The connector on the back is almost ready to break and I am worried it will break so I thought I would buy a new one. After a couple of crashes I bout this for a backup but I did not learn how to back up. I was able to transfer all my pictures on it.

How do I transfer to a new one.
How do I make automatic back ups to a new one.

Thanks, Fred

Advertisements

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
It should come with backup software either preloaded or on a disc you can install.

What type of device is it?

levy1

levy1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

It should come with backup software either preloaded or on a disc you can install.

Not being good at this I thought I might return the Acronis PC backup disc and recovery and the Hitachi XL 1000 and buy carbonite automatic backup.

Edited by levy1, 17 August 2010 - 03:08 PM.

Kii

Kii

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Not being good at this I thought I might return the Acronis PC backup disc and recovery and the Hitachi XL 1000 and buy carbonite automatic backup.

Every 1TB Hitachi Drive i've had has died. Versus the WD Essentials, which run literally silent. while the Hitachi's run super noisy, almost like a Quantum fireball. I'de go for a Western Digital Drive, Either from their own line-up, or Calvary. and stick to Acronis.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
I like Acronis very much and use it personally for imaging purposes. Around how much data are you looking to backup? Cloud based services like Carbonite are good solutions but not when you have very large amounts of data

levy1

levy1

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

I like Acronis very much and use it personally for imaging purposes. Around how much data are you looking to backup? Cloud based services like Carbonite are good solutions but not when you have very large amounts of data

Not large at all about 300 gb

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
300 GB isn't large? or was that a typo?

even just syncing changes on that ammount of data would take forever across the internet