Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recovery Disc

• Please log in to reply

levy1

levy1

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I understand I can make a recovery dis in case of a crash. How do I make one?

My system if it matters

Dell XP Pro 2002 service pack 3, Pentium R 4 cpu 3.0 ghz 1.0 gb ram

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Which model of Dell with service tag number if appropriate AND is it the original installation.
Most Dells, came with either Recovery Disc or a Recovery Partition.
Either of these allow Recovery to the state the computer was in when it was sold by Dell.
However to use that you would lose all your software installed since and all your personal data.
That is known as a destructive recovery.
Some Dells came with a Soft or Non-Destructive Recovery which in effect is a repair installation of Windows.
The same result can be achieved with an XP CD. However caution is necessary with OEM installations, that is Original Equipment Maufacturer - ie: Dell as their Windows installations cannot always be repaired using Recovery Console from the standard XP CD.
The easiest way is to create a Backup on an external Hard drive using the built in backup on XP Pro. this has the advantage that an ASR floppy can be created which will allow you to recover, if Windows cannot be started.

>

Edited by Macboatmaster, 17 August 2010 - 04:46 PM.

matofthemint

matofthemint

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
In my opinion Acronis is the best bet and well worth the $40.(I think they may have a discount sale right now). If you create a backup every other day or so you won't lose much and for sure none of your programs, &c. You will need an external or second disk.