Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sophos cannot access files

• Please log in to reply

lolly.

lolly.

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi all. I've seen similar topics, but none that quite match (or if they do, I can't quite wrap my head around the advice).

I am using Windows 7 and Sophos antivirus. I ran a scan on my computer today and there are a bunch of files that cannot be accessed in D:\System Volume Information. Malwarebytes doesn't pick up any problem, but I've only just made the connection that I had seen a previous file like that that had ended up having a virus in it.

I read other threads and disabled System Restore and deleted the System Restores (which oddly only started up on 24/7/10) because when I turned off System Restore, quite a few became corrupt. So now that folder is empty, but the other problems are still there.

My system backs up into D drive. An example of the files it has found problems with is:

Scanning "D:\System Volume Information\{32ceb2a9-96b2-11dg-9bbb-b8ac6f5843ff}{3808876c-c176-4e48-b7ae-04046e6cc752}" returned SAV Interface error 0xa0040210: The file could not be accessed.

There are five of these all in the same folder, but with different {XXXXXX} names.

Part of me is tempted to just go in and delete that file, but the folder doesn't seem to exist. I have the computer set to show hidden folders, but even when I type in D:\System Volume Information in the address bar of My Computer, it comes up with:

Location is not available.
D:\System Volume Information is not accessible.
Access is denied.

The folders in my D drive are iTunes, WindowsImageBackup and a folder named after my computer that used to hold the backups (now empty except for MediaID.bin which is also in the main D folder). I've got hidden files and system files showing. How do I access System Volume Information on Windows 7? Everything I can find seems to be targeted at XP/Vista.

I don't know if it's a virus (no sign of malware from it, but it is corrupted so probably can't be scanned).

Can anyone give me some advice about what to do? I read something about changing file ownership, but I don't know which files I would want to 'own' anyway - since the folder it is refering to doesn't exist.

Thanks.

Edited by lolly., 18 August 2010 - 07:23 AM.

Advertisements