Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem connecting external monitor to laptop!

• Please log in to reply

redstripe

redstripe

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi

Ive got a bit of a problem, the screen of my laptop recently broke, the backlight apparently since i can still see things on the desktop and use it IF i hang up a light above the screen ..lol which is very tedious and tiring for the eyes.

So i decided to link an external Dell monitor to my packard bell laptop vga connector. once the screen linked, went in proprieties, display, settings, click on the grey monitor 2 icon and tick the box "extend to an external monitor", then apply... i could see my wallpaper and my mouse on the external monitor ...BUT NOTHING ELSE!!! the worst is i cant even see the mouse on my laptop anymore either!

uh this is really embarassing, would be glad if you guys could help me on that one!

any solutions?

cheers !!!

Advertisements

Taomech

Taomech

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
Hi Redstripe,
Is there an option somewhere that will allow you to mirror or clone your display?
You could also try setting it so the external monitor is the primary display, though with a laptop I'm not sure if that will work.
Bit rushed, so I can't help much at the moment sorry.
Thanks,
Taomech

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
What other options do you have? Without reading the manual, to me, "extend" means just that, to extend or make larger the current display onto the 2nd monitor. That's why you don't see anything else on your Desktop because you are only seeing half of it and the Start menu etc. are still being displayed on the notebook side. So, as taomech suggests, you want to "switch to" the external monitor, or "mirror" the notebook display on the external monitor, not "extend" your desktop over both monitors.

I suggest you check the manual for your PB notebook.

BTW, it could be the backlight but typically it is the inverter that goes and they usually cost between $50 and $150 for the parts, plus one hour (2 at the most) labor at most any reputable repair shop.

Edited by Digerati, 19 August 2010 - 06:46 AM.