Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need CD-ROM drivers for 98SE

• Please log in to reply

Ponyroper

Ponyroper

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
I am rebuilding an old computer with upgraded parts and have installed a new Delta 52X CD-ROM and new HiVal (IO Magic) CD-RW. I installed a new HDD and managed to get my old 98SE OS installed on it by copying the Win98 folder to the drive by hooking it up to another computer with a working CD-ROM. 98SE detects both devices when it boots up but the new hardware wizard detects them both as "storage devices" instead of CD-ROM devices and can not find device drivers for them. When I add them manually as CD-ROM devices it says unable to find the correct drivers and they are not listed in Windows Explorer. I hooked them up to another computer running XP to see if they work and XP found and installed the Delta drive correctly but the system crashed and rebooted continually when I plugged in the HiVal drive. The Delta installed as an ATAPI device and I tried to install it as an ATAPI device on the 98SE computer but it still says the drivers are not correct for the device and it won't work. The HiVal support people told me that I need to update the drivers for my IDE Controller Chipset in order to get it working properly in the XP system but said it should work without any new drivers on the 98SE system. Right now I'm sitting here with 2 new drives that don't work on the 98SE system and no use for them on the XP system. Can I copy the ATAPI driver from XP and use it on the 98SE system to run the Delta drive or is that not possible? Delta does not have support for their products so I can't find the correct driver for the device on the internet. My 98SE disk is one of the earlier versions, do newer versions have more up to date device drivers or are they all generic? Does the Microsoft site have updated device drivers for all new hardware? Would I be able to find a newer generic driver there that would run the HiVal CD-RW. Thanks for any help

Advertisements

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Why didn't you just use a Win98SE or WinME boot floppy and install the drivers that way?? That is the most logical and correct way of doing it.. :tazz:

Once the drivers are installed, just use your 98SE cd and install Windows!!

Murray

Just read your other post.. Try the WinME boot floppy .. Also, make sthe cd-rom the Secondary Master .. the drivers located on the boot floppy will recognize it a whole lot easier!!

Edited by Murray S., 24 May 2005 - 12:56 PM.

Ponyroper

Ponyroper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
I should have stated in my original text that the drivers on the 98SE boot floppy and the drivers on the ME boot floppy do not run the 2 CD-ROMs. That was why I had to install the 98 folder from another computer. I have been trying for weeks to figure out why the generic drivers will not run these two devices. I have tried every possible combination on the motherboard controllers with no effect. The drives are detected on startup but the message says the device driver can not be found. All I can figure is these two drives need a newer driver than the one on the boot floppy or on the 98 install disk. I just can't figure out where to go to find the right drivers. As I said, the Delta drive works with XP so XP must have the right driver. I have not hooked up the HiVal drive to the XP system since I updated the IDE Controller Chipset so I can't say whether that drive works or not. The motherboard with the 98 OS is an ABIT BE6. If I update the motherboard drivers would this possibly make a difference?

Edited by Ponyroper, 24 May 2005 - 02:02 PM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Probably not.. Go to www.bootdisk.com and get the files for a Win ME boot floppy..

Run the self-extracting program and install them on a clean, formatted floppy.. WinME has a pile more cd-rom drivers than Win98..

Also, are the drives being recognized in BIOS??

Murray

Ponyroper

Ponyroper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
I already tried the WinME from bootdisck.com-no luck. how can you tell if the drives are recognised in in BIOS? Wouldn't the BIOS be recognising the drives before the OS detects them on startup or are those two different funtions? I assumed the OS would not detect the drives if the BIOS wasn't recognising them.

Edited by Ponyroper, 24 May 2005 - 02:33 PM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
They are being recognized as storage devices..

Boot into BIOS and take a look in the IDE Auto Detect area..

It should show them in there..

Murray

Ponyroper

Ponyroper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
What is it supposed to say there? I have the BIOS set to Auto Detect but what should be listed and why are they being detected as storage devices? I have them on the cable connected to the Secondary IDE Controller and the HDD is on the cable connected to the Primary IDE Controller. Actually I only have the Delta connected, I have been trying them separately to avoid any possible Slave/Master conflicts until I can get at least one of them recognised.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
When you first get into CMOS (setup), depending on your BIOS, the first option should a general CMOS setup (time/date, etc).. It is there that your recognized IDE devices will show up.

Murray

Ponyroper

Ponyroper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
K-I'll take a look when I get home from work to see if they are listed. What should I do if they are not?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Put the Delta on the primary IDE cable and jumper it as the slave drive.. Then, take a look in BIOS once more..

If recognized, you should be able to use the XP cd and the "Boot from cd" option to install..

Murray

Advertisements

Ponyroper

Ponyroper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Should I leave the HDD plugged in as the master on that cable?

Edited by Ponyroper, 24 May 2005 - 03:44 PM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
You betcha!! :tazz:

Murray

Ponyroper

Ponyroper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
I have to go off-line now but if the drive does not show up as the slave on the primary what would my next step be?

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Get a new cd-rom drive.. If the hdd is showing, then the cable and connection is fine.. the problem would lay in the cd-rom!!

Murray

Ponyroper

Ponyroper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
but the cd-rom works fine in my other computer with the xp os.