Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

My first site.

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Kii

Kii

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
If you've read my introduction, Ive been trying to stay ahead of the game so when Im accepted into the web design class's I can be on-top of things.
My first venture into Basic design was with Mikaeru, Which focus's on Strong Anime reviews, something...that is lacking in most review sites. The only issue im facing is, People comment on it looking more like a graphics design site & I actually had a few comment about the lack of Ad's being a bad thing...I dont know why. The site is currently at a stand still for 4 months. Because I have two ideas which im not sure which to continue on with. 1) A community site, A site for a club I could make for the city im in, OR stick with reviews, which...in due time larger sites... like a torrent site, bakabt, show interest in partnering if that succeeds.

For now I have a few Ideas to impliment...
1) Language options Japanese & English support
- I think this is a good idea, because for a longtime Mikaeru was a registered domain in japan... plus, its anime related.
2) Removal of the Tracker & Gallery
- No one uses these & the gallery has been offline so I dont see the issue here.

But more importantly is the loading time that bugs me, & the looks of the site, the Professionalism. Which I believe its lacking in.

http://www.mikaeru.com/front.html

Note: This was all done with Expression, so I cant get too fancy with it.

Advertisements

AstraNut

AstraNut

• PipPipPip
  • 465 posts
Background image is over 1/2-Mb in size. I would try using the JPG format and compress the file size down. You also do not have a document type. You need one to be cross-browser compliant after you fix the problems with IE. Use of iframes and table tags for layouts are not always a good thing to use. Tables for layouts went out in the late 1990s when CSS was starting to be better supported.

I recommend you validate your CSS and HTML coding at the w3c.org's vaidators:

The W3C CSS Validation Service by URI
The W3C Markup Validation Service by URI

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts
Contrast between text and background is not good enough. I can not read the text very well.

Kii

Kii

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
Thanks you two, I'll work on that when I get that chance. I noticed there was an error in the W3C validation, so it looks like I have lots of work to do.

Taomech

Taomech

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
Kii,
If you are trying to keep the site family friendly, I would consider rethinking some of the images on the front page. Some of them are a bit inappropriate and some people may take offense.

Thanks,
Taomech

Edited by taomech, 23 August 2010 - 02:48 AM.

sari

sari

GeekU Admin

• Community Leader
  • 21,806 posts
  • MVP
It appears from your description and from the site that you plan on having torrents. That is something that we will not help you with. According to our Terms of Use:

We will not support or allow the discussion of any peer to peer (P2P) applications, except for their removal.

The posting of links or references to warez or any other type of illegal software is strictly forbidden. By doing so you risk having your user account terminated without warning. We will NOT help anyone we suspect of having obtained their software illegally.

Torrents fall under those categories. If you want help on your site from us, then I suggest you remove any references to or support for torrents.