Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to create a REAL boot diskette using XP?

• Please log in to reply

EagerToLearn

EagerToLearn

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
I want to create a COMPLETE startup (or boot) diskette, the one that you can use to run scandisks from DOS and format hard disks. And I want to create it using XP.

I have used the format option clicking on the box that says "Create an MS-DOS startup disk" - Here's a pic: http://mirror.href.c...nxp/format2.gif
But that option only creates a limited disk, with which I cannot run scandisks and probably doesn't have the format command either.

I think it was possible to create the full version of the startup disk (the one that I want) with Windows 98, using the Add/Remove Programs Properties.

Anyway, I have downloaded little programs that claim to create a full boot disk but they demand 6 diskettes.
I want the simple and full boot diskette that takes up only one (but whole) diskette.

Some manuals tell me to copy files from C: to A: using the DOS simulator of XP (cmd.exe). But those manuals don't include the syntax and I don't remember how to copy using DOS.

Please help :)

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Um, you can do all that stuff from the XP CD. You don't need a bootdisk.

As to six floppies for an installation - that is correct for XP. But nobody uses floppies these days anyway.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
i have to agree that the cd is the best option but if you really need the diskette version try HERE