Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP freezes randomly and computer has erratic behavior

• Please log in to reply

ekstatman

ekstatman

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
Please help.

My computer has begun freezing radomly in recent days, with the computer screen looking more like a kaliedoscope. The motherboard was professionally replaced about 45 days ago after an electrical storm. Being that the display goes awry upon freezing, I updated the driver for my video card so it is current. The only thing I see is that in the event view...the same error keeps appearing..."The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load; ftsata2".

Also, the computer will enter sleep mode and cannot get out of it. I have to manually turn off the computer to get it back on.

Lastly, when I turn the computer back on after a hard kill, I sometimes get a loud fan and nothing else, which is how the motherboard episode started 45 days ago. I then kill the power at the power supply, wait 20 seconds, and turn it back on and things seem normal...with the exception of the random, yet constant freezing. Sorry for the long winded post, but I am trying to give as much background as possible. I am running on Windows XP SP3. A thank you to anyone who can help!

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
This solution as seem to work for a lot of people so try it on yours and i hope it helps.

Go to Start->
Control Panel->
System->
Hardware->
Device Manager->
View->
Show Hidden Devices->
Non Plug and Play Drivers->
ftsata2->
Driver->
Start up Type = Demand

ekstatman

ekstatman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Hello. Thank you for your response. Unfortunately, my computer has decided to not start up at all. After a freeze last night, the fan is loud on startup and nothing else turns on. Not sure what I can do here besides have someone take a look at the motherboard that just got replaced about a month ago. Any suggestions?